Photography - equipment, help hints

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks again Eric, useful info.
The 'kit' lens supplied with the camera is the Nikkor 18 - 55mm AF-S, VR, DX series, and very nice to use, although a little stiff on the zoom barrel at present, which will no doubt improve with use. The Sigma has the macro facility too, so even if I do go for a Nikon AF-S VR 300mm zoom, I'll hang on to the Sigma.
At the show, I used the little Fuji 'bridge' camera for general shots, and the Nikon with 300mm for the ground to air. The little Fuji also grabbed a couple of the air display, and they're not bad at all, although of course the camera itself is limited, even in continuous mode, due to its electronic (and tiny!) viewfinder.
Just had a quick look, and there's some good deals on the Nikon lens at the moment, so I'm tempted - especially if the ex-wife comes up with a 'refund' she promised me!!
Still got to think of a way of justifying it though ..... ahem! I'm sure I'll find a way!

Still got to think of a way of justifying it though ..... ahem! I'm sure I'll find a way!
You need to take photos of the model kits as they progress and you need to go to the museums for "walkarounds"...

These of course require a quality camera to capture the detail, right? :thumbleft:

Got that Nikon lens, and what a beaut! Virtually instant focusing, silent, better ergonomics, and better balance. And, of course, image stabilisation (VR ii).
Being 'old school', and more used to conventional, dedicated lenses, I never would have thought there could be such a difference in very similar lenses, and hopefully I should see some results on the weekend of 20/21 July - going to the Large Scale Flying Model display at Cosford.
I'll hang on to the Sigma though, as the macro facility is useful.

It may have over heated if you were using it in quick succession for an extended period, if not you may be outta luck Harrison. Speaking of flashes I got this last week and am loving the fun you can have with it. And Dave, you were right, it does great filling in. I have CANDLE POWER now.:lol:

Attachments

• canon,430,ex,ii,flas.jpg
    canon,430,ex,ii,flas.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I have had shots that were essentially a good shot, but when I back-filled with a flash, they made the shot come alive.

Of course, there'll be times where a flash is too much or not enough, but those don't happen often :)

Good to hear that you like the new lens, Terry. VR is really a nice feature, especially when in turbulence or shooting is low light.

Nice flash, Aaron. I found even with the studio lighting, I still use the flash to fill in. It makes a big difference in the studio.

Have you checked the flash mode not Off, Harrison?
This is my wonder, though.

Somtimes it's the simplest thing.

You know, my new camera has a thousand and one buttons, switches, and knobs, but not one tells me "Hey Idiot, the Lens Cap is Still On".
Actually, it does...

When you look through the view-finder...everything will look dark and scary. It is at this moment you realize that either the world has ended and we're all screwed, or the lens cap is still covering the lens...

Actually, it does...

When you look through the view-finder...everything will look dark and scary. It is at this moment you realize that either the world has ended and we're all screwed, or the lens cap is still covering the lens...

Where the heck were you with this advice 2 weeks ago????? :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back