Picture of the day. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The 9th Air Force B-26 Groups started the move to France in late August/early September. There's a very good chance that the formation seen over London were off course - London and it's environs was a no fly zone, except to intercepting fighter aircraft, and then only in an emergency. And after June 13th, the 'Diver' gun belt was moved, to cover the approaches, with a gap between the coast and the City where fighters could intercept, but weren't allowed inside the gun belts.

I wonder if it was taken after hostilities ended.

This synthetic oil plant will need a bit of work.

"Part of a vertical photographic-reconnaissance aerial showing severe damage to the Braunkohle-Benzin syhthetic oil plant at Zeitz near Leipzig, Germany, one month after a raid by 328 Avro Lancasters of Nos. 1, 6 and 8 Groups, Bomber Command, on the night of 16/17 January 1945."

I wonder if it was taken after hostilities ended.
I don't think so, from the looks of the invasion stripes, it must have been between June 44 and December 44 as the stripes were removed per orders of 6 December 44.

Also, if memory serves right, the stripes on the upper wing surfaces were removed between August and September of that year.

Amazing images as always. Going a few posts back, the tank in Berlin is no longer there - sadly. The Soviets had little memorials to different things all round the city and most are gone, although the Soviet War Memorial at Treptower Park still exists, with its pillars of Carrara marble robbed from the ruins of Hitlers Chancellery. If the tank is the same as the one I'm thinking of, after re-unification, a graffiti artist painted it and used it in an art installation and then I think, it was scrapped. There is a T-34 and a few other things at Karlshorst, where the 'official' surrender of the German army took place on 8 May 1945. The building is now a museum and has artefacts from the Soviet occupation in it. The T-34 is mounted on a plinth with Russian writing - it might be the same one, but I'm not sure; I'll have to dig out my Berlin photos to have a look.

and a slightly annoyed looking chap who I have never heard of

I wonder who the chap is behind him? Is it Lindemann?

Last edited:

Are you talking about the T-34 at the Soviet Memorial just behind the Brandenburg Gate?

If so, it is still there. At least it was the last time I was in Berlin back in 2007.

The last minutes of a Focke-Wulf FW 200, shot down into the sea. Here the wreckage is lying on the surface with some smoke drifting from it. The survivors were picked by a boat from a British ship.

Users who are viewing this thread