Picture of the day. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

boyndie34.jpg

Me too, Bill. Lucky, that Lanc image shows quite clearly the camera that took images of the target area as I described in the reconnaissance thread. You can see the circular port just ahead of the bomb bay on the aircraft's left hand side. It's a tired looking Lancaster Mk.I with some rather interesting aerials under its nose and rear fuselage.

From the USAAF archives. Caption for the image is:
B-29 BOMBS OVER BURMA-Tons of bombs speckle the sky over Rangoon, Burma, as they spew from tile yawning bomb bays of Twentieth Bomber Command Superfortresses. The target of this daylight attack by Brig. Gen. Roger M. Ramey's India-based airmen was a large Japanese supply depot near the Mingaladon Air Field near Rangoon. Returning flyers declared it a "perfect mission" from the standpoint of weather and observed results of bombs on the target.

USAAF_picture5[720].jpg

Great stuff, and I too like that Lanc shot.
Grant, as far as I know, the forward, underside aerial is the VHF antenna, later replaced by a 'whip' antenna, and then later still moved to the top of the fuselage. It's sometimes confused with the aerials and equipment carried by the 101 Sqn aircraft, on jamming ops.
The rear aerial is, I believe the IFF antenna, replacing the original wires running from tail fins to a point just below and slightly aft of the mid-upper turret. Just outboard of this, and I think only just visible, would be the 'Lorenz' beam approach antenna, running fore and aft, and looking rather like a towel rail.

Grant, as far as I know, the forward, underside aerial is the VHF antenna, later replaced by a 'whip' antenna, and then later still moved to the top of the fuselage. It's sometimes confused with the aerials and equipment carried by the 101 Sqn aircraft, on jamming ops.
The rear aerial is, I believe the IFF antenna, replacing the original wires running from tail fins to a point just below and slightly aft of the mid-upper turret. Just outboard of this, and I think only just visible, would be the 'Lorenz' beam approach antenna, running fore and aft, and looking rather like a towel rail.

Thanks for that Terry, I'd recognise the towel rail aerial, but the other two left me puzzled - I'v not seen that installation before. The ELINT aircraft had a bigger aerial fit as I've seen images of them before.

guides-Avro-Lancaster-B-Mark-III-595x541_zpsvratggno.jpg

Edit:

A member of the ground crew, illuminated by a lamp shining from the bomb-aimer's position, guides Avro Lancaster B Mark III, JB362 'EA-D', ("D for Donald") of No. 49 Squadron RAF to its dispersal point at Fiskerton, Lincolnshire, after returning from the greatest and most destructive raid mounted on Berlin to date (22/23 November 1943); the main weight of the raid falling in the centre and south of the city with extensive damage both to housing and to industrial premises. Warrant Officer H Blunt and his crew arrived safely back at their dispersal a few minutes before midnight on 22 November, but were shot down and killed in "D for Donald" when returning from their next visit to Berlin, Germany on 27 November 1943.

Last edited:
Men of the King's African Rifles (KAR) collecting surrendered arms at Wolchefit Pass after the last Italians had finally ceased resistance in Ethiopia. 1941

large (2).jpg

Not a great picture but this shows the final moments of Mosquito "F for Freddie" and its crew on May 10, 1945. The full text of this tragic story can be read here: F For Freddie - Calgary's VE Day Tragedy

p_freddie10.jpg

The reason for showing this picture: the world's second flyable Mosquito is only days away from flying. Painted in the colours and markings of "F for Freddie" it is possible that it will be in the air 69 years to the day since the crash of its namesake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back