Picture of the day. (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

looks like a reassuring lump of armour in front of the 20mm magazines. I think I am right when I say that the Whirlwind was the first RAF fighter to have armour in its original design and it shows

Cool photo, but that's not a German fighter, that's a Hurricane. Look at the position of the exhausts on the nose, the cockpit windshield and fuselage structure aft of the cockpit.

Gotta remember its on the deck and on fire, also the windscreen is on a jaunty angle, but look at the wing profile as well. The welded steel tube structure aft of the cockpit is a give away. As for the nose, the location of the exhausts is closest to the Hurricane than any other type, certainly any German one, look how high they are up the cowl. Definitely not German. Sticking with Hurricane.

Yep, it's a Hurricane, fitted with a De Havilland prop and metal wings. Not only do the exhausts give a clue, but the shape of the cowling, sloping down to the prop, and, of course, the tubular frame fuselage construction, especially the shape of the latter around the cockpit area. The wooden formers and stringers have burned off, along with the fabric covering, giving at a totally different appearance to what one would expect to see.

Users who are viewing this thread