Pilots and their Pets

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Don't know if I can directly link to the photo, as it is still under copyright.

You'll find it on P.16 of this link.

http://aerostories2.free.fr/acrobat/aventures/hauchemaille.pdf

Marc Hauchemaille, a free french, killed in 1942, shows Pilou, the dog from his company, that followed him by boat from France.

"I don't know if I have talked about Pilou's return, This brave dog has undergone the reglementary quarantine, and we got him back bigger and well threatened..."

This poor dog got killed in Tern Hill, in July 1941, rammed by a jeep.

The Squadron Dog was such an important part of the Battle of Britain and all aerial battles of the war, that he/she is honoured at the Battle of Britain Memorial at Capel Le Ferne, Kent.

Attachments

• dog.jpg
    dog.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 143
  • dog1.jpg
    dog1.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 129
No Pics just a story that my father related to me a couple of times in my youth.My father was a radio operator on a B-17 in a squadron that went OTU when it hit England(first bomb group over).The story was that a B-17 had an Ocelot for a mascot that he told me went up on missons(how did he breathe?).
But the story goes the guys were in the hangar one day and the cat was tied up to a pole or something minding his own business when a small dog or chihuahua started taking an interest in the cat.The dog kept barking up a storm and getting braver and braver getting ever closer to the cat.The cat in turn knowing his limits would just open one eye and close it luring the dog ever closer and closer.My Dad said that dog came within range of a paw and his arse went across that hangar floor yelping all the while with crews laughning.The plane that cat belong to took off one time without the cat not to return he said crews were scampering to make him thier mascot.I do not think he was BS'ing me for he told me the story a couple three times and I do not really recall it changing or anything.I would have to say that most of the stories I heard from England were him having fun.The other stuff was few and far in between for him to recollect to me anyway.

No worries Javlin! Great story!

Not all that perdient to the thread but a long lost find occurred this past week.My Wife located all the orginal records we have on my fathers time in the Army Air Force starting with 1937 letters(2) written by the Chaplin to my grandparents on his enlistment on up to 1980 when he finally retired from CS @ KAFB.The foto though of him holding the plaque showing the the seperation of the bomb group upon arrival in England is still elusive that foto dates him to the first bomb group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back