Polly Scale paints to be discontinued

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

kgambit

Tech Sergeant
May 29, 2006
North Carolina
Just read that Testors is discontinuing the Polly Scale line of Acrylics. If you use these you might want to consider stocking up or start finding alternatives.

Source for the info is Fine Scale Forums, in the Painting/airbrushing Sub Forums - thread is entitled "Really Terrible News".

As for me, I will probably switch over to Life Color (and possibly Vallejo) once my stocks of Polly Scale are exhausted.

Last edited:
I don't really understand the brand loyalty factor in picking paint. I often wonder about the small little bottles that model paints are usually sold in and wonder if there is paint out there that's well suited to models and that's sold in large containers. I often mix my own shades, so all I really need is the primaries, black and white, and a few other tricky shades like flesh and purple (which is hardly ever used).

I've never known any modelling product that I couldn't find a replacement for if necessary.

I just ordered RLM 70 and 71 from Polly scale..... huh..

I thought you used Enamels? Polly Scale is acrylic - have you switched to acrylics or are you just using them for the Dornier as a test?

The Polly Scale paints are still available - my understanding is that once existing stocks are depleted, that's it. I've emailed Testors for more information.

RATS!! Thanks for the headsup.

They're still taking orders thru their website at the moment. I just put in an order a couple of days ago.

I got an auto-reply - the gist is that they are busy because of the Holidays and will reply shortly. Yeah, that's helpful.

I thought you used Enamels? Polly Scale is acrylic - have you switched to acrylics or are you just using them for the Dornier as a test?

The Polly Scale paints are still available - my understanding is that once existing stocks are depleted, that's it. I've emailed Testors for more information.

I use enamels... ordered them by mistake, er well my dad said he'd take care and he got those... instead of enamels... but yes they will be used on the Do and see if I like them..

Okay guys - it's confirmed - Polly Scale is being shut down. Here's the reply I got today from Testors:

Hello Dwight,

Thank you for taking the time to write us regarding your disappointment
with the decision to discontinue the Military colors in our Floquil
Pollyscale line.
Due to the low sales and the difficult economy, the decision was made
by our Parent Company to close down the line since we have the same
Military colors in our Model Master Line.
We are forwarding your comments to our Sales Marketing Departments
for their review and consideration for bringing this product back,
however we can't guarantee anything.

Thank you again for your interest and comments; we hope that you will
continue to use Testor products.

Nice follow-up Dwight. So what's the verdict on MM acrylics? Any good?

Depends on who you talk to as to what answer you get. Some of the folks over at the Fine Scale forums absolutely HATE Model Master Acrylics. Complaints range from poor adhesion, variable color, and variable density/viscosity. Personally, I think the poor adhesion comment is nonsense. They've worked fine for me the few times I've used them. In fact, the new Acryl formula adhered exceptionally well when I tried it. As for variable color, well my experience with Polly Scale and the RLM 79 on the HS 126 was enough to convince me that ANY paint can have that issue. As for the viscosity comment, there wasn't any solid information provided to lend that any credence. It sounds like most of the people who were complaining about Acryl paints just had a bug up their butts about their favorite paint (Polly Scale) being yanked.

That being said, I'll probably end up switching over to Life Color, Tamiya and/or Vallejo when my polly scale is gone. In fact, I've started using Life Color for all my Italian kits in preference to Polly Scale already. I did put in an order for some extra Polly Scale paints just to add a couple of jars of one or two colors but I already have a fair amount of Polly Scale stocked up.

I don't really understand the brand loyalty factor in picking paint. I often wonder about the small little bottles that model paints are usually sold in and wonder if there is paint out there that's well suited to models and that's sold in large containers. I often mix my own shades, so all I really need is the primaries, black and white, and a few other tricky shades like flesh and purple (which is hardly ever used).

I've never known any modelling product that I couldn't find a replacement for if necessary.

With a little imagination you'll find yourself making another hobby of being resourceful. I use these and mix my own colors.

RustOleum.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back