Project- Aircraft Museums

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Essam

Recruit
Nov 10, 2010
Hi everyone, As you can all see its my first post here, I will just introduce myself, My name is Essam, and I am a student studying in City University, London. And i have a project with the topic
"How can aircraft museums encourage young people to become interested in careers in
aviation?"

Description:
The issue seems to be that aircraft museums by their nature focus on the past and are more
interesting to those who had some involvement with aviation history. Few young people today
have much knowledge or interest in the aeronautical achievements of the Second World War ,
which is the focus of much museum display. How can museums move to attract young people
whose interests seem more driven by computer games and simulation than historical artefacts .

Now to the questions, As you can all see the question is pretty clear, how young minds of our generation be attracted to doing a career in Aero Engineering or be pilots. From what I have researched and seen so far, in Museums apart from aircraft, that they are more interactive and have activities for kids to take part in, like the Natural History or science museums, and the ones which like the things the museums have to display do plan to go into that field. So as we all know everyone, of almost all age groups is attracted to games, people queuing up for the New Call of duty and what not, wouldnt it be a nice if they would do the same thing for Museums. I myself is an enthusiatic gamer, and I love going to Museums of all kinds, just because of the vast knowledge they give and lessons in History and also i cant feel or see what and how an aircraft flies.

I am open to ideas of what we can do as to change things in the aircraft museums that would allow children to opt for a career in Aviation. Any suggestions are welcome.

One of the things the CAF does is to have a cadet program, where they bring in young people to get involved either with the museum, or with the restorations. One of the benefits of being a cadet is getting a chance to ride along in trainers or transports (anything with more than 1 seat).

Keeping the displays fresh with interactive kiosks is a good start too. Providing a place to through events like birthday parties, graduation parties, etc also can bring in the interest, and money to the organization.

There's one a couple of hours away that has several interactive displays which seems to work well for them. Reaching out to local schools to arrange field trips might be good as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back