Questions about the Me-262

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For a reciprocation engine (pistoned internal combustion engine) the 2 stroke is the simplest and generally more powereful (HP/BHP) of equivalent size, though with less torque.

The Reidel system wasn't perfect, but it was small, compact was already available - I hate to think of some having some inertia starting system for a Jumo or BMW, it'd be just unfeasably big, heavy much more complex.
I'd also imagine that with little imagination if of not true, Reidels being used as well maybe for air compressor power units, small scale electrical generators (for portable welders, water/fluid pumps..) etc.

Incedently, wasn't some of the early (Heinkel) bubble cars powered by an 250-ish cc engine, possibly derived from a/the Reidel - effectively it only needed mating to some gearbox and drive system, with some fueling ignition changes for lower rpm with more 'stonk'/torque.

Sorry for carriing sub topic onward..

No Denger, = no (well it'd taken longer if at all)... Super Six, RGR/RGV, Waterbuffalo, NSR, YR/RD/DT, etc...

Last edited:
Cartridge starters can provide a lot of power (torque) for a short period of time. Turbines usually take a while to spool up. you can adapt one to the other but it might require a clever intermediate stage. I believe some jets used what was called a "air-combustion starter" that used bottled air and the jet fuel to power a turbine clutched and geared to the main engine. Apparently things could get real interesting if the starter failed to de-clutch after the main engine "caught" and went from starting rpm to even idle rpm. Starter turbine could be overdriven to around 100,00rpm with a corresponding loud bang and flying pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back