Quotes and Jokes (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

#17 Hudsons
#18 Skate keys for tightening skates to shoe soles
#19 5 cent candy bars that were big enough to share

probably more, but being this old, hard to remember!

We always assumed that the TV Dinner manufacturers bought the entire production run of those green peas every year and put them in every meal they produced. The damn things wandered out of their section during production and got in the mash potatoes, Sailsbary Steak, fried apples, or whatever else was in there. Yuck!

And my High School Physics teacher said that those aluminum trays for the TV dinners would last forever. He said that 1000 years in the future archeologists would dig and find nothing but those trays and the pop tops that came off of drink cans (remember them?) and wonder what in the hell was going on that we produced so many millions of those things for no obvious reason and then threw them away.

Remember how people would pull the pop tops off, stick them in the can, and then choke on them when they swallowed one? I never did that. Recall how people would make necklaces out of the pop tops?

Anyone recall when beer and coke cans were steel instead of aluminum? You did not stomp those things! Crushing one with your hands meant something! Girls would swoon and get married because a guy crushed a beer can. And then after aluminum drink cans came out, the top suddenly got a lot smaller. That was because they figured out that they could make the can much thinner if they made the top both smaller and the only part strong enough to put the opening lever on. Now you can drop a can a couple of feet and put a hole right through the side.

That's how we weeded out the week ones from the gene pool!!
It especially weeded out the drunk ones.

My poor Mom, though.... She never stuck the pop top in the can but EVERY time she opened one she would hold her hand in some way that would cause the pop top to slice her thumb open. "Pop!" and the blood would flow. This particularly would happen at the drive-in.

How many people out there have ever been to the drive in to watch a movie rather than to go to a swap meet or something? I think that CA was one of the last places to still have drive in theaters; I think this was because they had not much of a problem with mosquitoes.

There was a company named Drive In Theater Check Out Company. They produced test equipment that would automatically check out the speakers in drive ins by running a continuity check and then produce a print out showing which speakers were bad. GD adopted the DTMCO equipment to test the wiring harnesses in Atlas ballistic missiles the same way. You could either get a few techs and have them sit there with multimeters for a week or so or simply hook up the harness to DTMCO. If not for drive in movie theaters John Glenn might never have made it to orbit.

There is one small town in GA we drive through that used to have a drive in theater with a screen that was so deep that it had rooms behind it. Then one day it was not there any more.

How many old timers drove off with the speaker still on the inside of the window? I did only once. She had to be home at a certain time and the movie was not finished. We were still listening until the sound went out. I still have the speaker somewhere and it still worked.

One of my friend lived next to a drive-in and could see the screen from his bedroom. He wired a second speaker to the nearest post and with a long cord had sound in his room.

A young guy at a bank where I serviced their film machine finally bought his first car. The girls he worked with told me when he picked up his new red sport car, he wanted to take the three of them out. On the interstate he had a flat tire and had never changed a tire before, The girls had to find the jack for him, set it up, and get him to turn the crank handle because non of the girls were strong enough. They taught him to use the wrench and remove the nuts. After the spare was securely on, he rolled the flat/wheelrim away and then was told he needed to put that in the trunk and have the flat fixed. He thought he had to buy the whole wheel/tire replacement.

I've known more than a few guys who would do this...
Back in the 70s a friend in Port Moresby was the VW dealer and he donated an engine to the local tech school and promised a job to the top student who passed the exam he wrote.

The winner got a perfect score and his first job in the shop was an oil change. The teacher had not showed them how to measure oil into an engine so he just pumped it in the filler until it overflowed. Then he tried to start it after finishing all the other jobs. Naturally the oil had migrated up into the distributor, into the cylinders and all sorts of other places that it did not belong so the car was in the shop over a week to fix all the problems.

A friend of mine had a Porsche 911 that had a unique feature. There was an external filler port for gasoline but also a separate one for oil. You can guess what happened, not to him but to others. I think that feature lasted 1 year in production.

That car had not only an oil pressure gauge but an oil quantity gauge. For the electrical system it had only a light, that glowed a little bit at low RPM and glowed less at higher RPM.

Last Drive-In I went to was about 25 years ago in Waynesville NC. It was next to a cow field (along with the cow aroma) and the lady who ran the snack bar had this giant beehive hairdo. You would also get a large pizza for $12 which was challenge to finish due to the said cow aroma next door.

In 1993 I was flying my Ercoupe from Maryland down to SC. My planned refueling stop turned out to be IFR when I got there so I turned around and flew 40 miles back up I-95 to an airport I knew was clear, at Roanoke Rapids NC. There I found a nice little field that featured patio chairs made out of bent pipe and stamped steel, like we had in the 60's. And their drink machine served bottles, one of those that you put your money in, opened the little door along one side, and pulled the bottle out by the cap. I was tempted to ask the elderly couple that ran the place if they got visits from tour groups. I am pretty sure there was a drive-in theater not too far away; that would fit the ambiance.

Probably should have asked what year it was.

Users who are viewing this thread