Rare photos from Stalingrad...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Excellent find. Wish there was an English translation, I'd love to know what the captions were.

They are some very fascinating shots...but hard to look at some of them when they convey even just a portion of how difficult surviving Stalingrad must have been. I stared at one picture for about 10 seconds before I realized it was a pile of horse hooves and horse shoes. I suppose it was in the German camp, but who knows...
Derek

They are some very fascinating shots...but hard to look at some of them when they convey even just a portion of how difficult surviving Stalingrad must have been. I stared at one picture for about 10 seconds before I realized it was a pile of horse hooves and horse shoes. I suppose it was in the German camp, but who knows...
Derek

According to Google translator:
"Remains of horses eaten by Germans"

Wheels

Has anyone ever seen a small book "letters from Stalingrad". Letters home from German soldiers. Just makes you wonder what the human species can take. Makes you feel for every soldier who has ever fought. Bill

Last edited:
My dad has told me that he worked with a German soldier in the late 1960's who wasn't repatriated until 1955. :shock:

Wheels
I've heard first-hand about that, too..

I worked with a gentleman back in the 80's who was a former junior officer in a SS panzer grenadier outfit. He told me that that out of his two brothers who were captured by the Soviets, one was repatriated in the 50's and the other was never heard from again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back