RCAF CF-104 'Starfighter', 1/48th scale.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Terry,

I have used the Vallejo Air Acrylic Matte and it works great. No need to muck about by mixing it with other other stuff. Sprayed straight from the bottle, one coat usually does it for me.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I've been investigating the new Humbrol acrylic varnishes, in 125ml bottles, and they appear to be just the job. The only one available at the moment is gloss 'Clear', which is a thin, crystal clear acrylic varnish which works the same way as the 'old' Johnson's 'Future / Klea'r, including 'dipping' on canopies and other clear parts, and I've ordered some from my LHS, which should arrive on Thursday.
A Matt and a Satin version are due out soon, but in the meantime, I can add Tamiya Flat Base to the gloss, as I used to do with the original 'Future', to make anything from full matt to semi-gloss.
Great news, even though, at £4.99 per bottle, it works out more expensive than Future/Klear, when the volume is taken into account, but I don't mind that, as at least I know I'll have something which works, and even a 125ml bottle should last some time, so even at that price, it's cost effective. My last bottle of 'old type' Future lasted around three or more years, and would have lasted at least ten years, if I hadn't knocked it over and spilled most of it !
It'll also be a slap in the face to those selling original Klear/Future on e-bay - at £35 per bottle !

Thanks Cory. Yes, it's a bit odd, as there are even tiny numbers to make up the serial number which goes on the port side canopy sill !
As can be seen, the decals are printed with a 'pre-made' serial number, 12762, with the fuselage, tail and under wing numbers as complete decals, but only enough of the separate digits to make the fuselage and fin numbers, but not the under wing number, if another serial is required.
They're very nice decals though, and go on smoothly.
Don't know if I'll get any more done tonight, but hope to complete the decal stage by tomorrow night, all being well.

Last edited:
Excellent work with these stickers Terry, looks that they are very good workmanship.

Sigo pendiente al seguimiento.
Saludos.

LC
SANCER

Thanks very much chaps, it's really appreciated.

Cory, a word of caution regarding the decals. On a normally painted surface, they're fine, and can be positioned quite easily, although wetting the surface will help if a decal needs to be moved to its final resting place. I didn't use any decal solutions, my normal type being 'Micro Sol', partly because of the caution shown in the instructions, warning against more aggressive solutions, but mainly due to the fact that these agents can 'stain' the NMF which, not being clear coated, can quite easily be spoiled by such solutions.
However, when handling the model some 12 or more hours after applying the first decals, I accidentally caught the top edge of the roundel, on the starboard nose area, with a piece of tissue, whilst removing water and decal adhesive residue I'd missed earlier. This caused a small segment to flake off - obviously due to the 'metal' surface, and not being sealed with a clear coat. Fortunately, I was able to retrieve the small piece of decal, wet the area where it came from, and put it back in position, minus a tiny 'notch', after wetting the surface slightly. (the missing bit will be painted - in later).
This was then sealed with just a tiny spot of clear gloss enamel varnish applied off the tip of a fine paint brush - I would normally use a good clear acrylic varnish for this but, due to the problems I've experienced with the 'new' Future, I didn't want to mess things up, and didn't have a replacement for the Future, which will be replaced, come Thursday, with the new Humbrol 'Clear', an equivalent to the original Johnson's Future / Klear.
So, if, or when, applying these decals to a 'naked' metallic-painted surface, be extra careful, and seal the decalled area with a good quality acrylic clear coat as soon as possible after the decals have set.
Just the decal, and around the edges of the carrier film, needs to be sealed on the raw NMF, and an acrylic is preferable, as this should not alter the appearance of the painted NMF, whereas an enamel clear coat might do.
Apart from that, you should find these decals are a pleasure to work with, given that 'normal' handling precautions are observed when using thin decals - the decal and carrier film is so thin, that there is absolutely zero trace of any clear film on the 'metal' surfaces, even when inspected under a magnifying glass.

Thanks Brian !
I'm hoping to get some more done later today - been a bit rough again the last couple of days, so need to catch up.

Thanks Geo, on both counts. It's a bl**dy inconvenient disease, RA - pain and discomfort most of the time, and then, for no apparent reason, flare-up which can last anywhere from a few hours to a few days, and be totally debilitating !

Thanks Geo, on both counts. It's a bl**dy inconvenient disease, RA - pain and discomfort most of the time, and then, for no apparent reason, flare-up which can last anywhere from a few hours to a few days, and be totally debilitating !

I feel your pain to a point Terry, I've already got it, but thankfully it's pretty minor, for now. We'll see in a few years. I hope this flare-up cools off soon.

Users who are viewing this thread