RCAF CF-104 'Starfighter', 1/48th scale.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'd just like to say -%£%ing %$£%%$£ and b*ll*cks !

The few decals that have been applied have been on the model for 12 days now, and should have settled down and be well 'bedded in'.
So, in order to avoid chipping or other damage to those decals on the 'bare metal' areas whilst handling the model, I applied a very light coat of the recently acquired Humbrol Clear, using a soft brush and just covering the area of the decal. This is something I've done, using various types of clear coats, without any problems whatsoever, for at least 35 years, ever since the introduction of more 'modern' clear coats, and especially since the discovery, by modellers, of Johnson's Klear/Future, around 20+ years ago.
And guess what?

The bl**dy decals wrinkled !!

I'll admit that this has only happened to those decals on the raw, 'bare metal' areas, with the 'RCAF' lettering,'771' numbers, and the roundels on the fuselage, and the Red Ensign flag on the port fin being affected, with slight wrinkling of the yellow 'Rescue' arrow, also on the port side.
The roundels on the wings, applied to the white-painted areas which were clear-coated with Xtracolor enamel gloss varnish before adding the decals, where also given a brushed coat of the Humbrol Clear, and these are fine. The roundel and 'RCAF' on the starboard side of the fuselage, were clear coated in the Xtracolor enamel gloss varnish, just covering the decal and carrier film, and there's no sign of wrinkling or bubbling in this area.
Whether this is something to do with this brand of decal, which are very thin, or whether the Humbrol Clear has got under the decals on the metal areas (unlikely after so much time) or whether it's a reaction in combination with the varnish, decals and the 'metal' areas, I have no idea.

The effect was difficult to photograph, with the black lettering absorbing the light, but it can just be seen on the roundel in the photo below.
I find it extremely odd that a solvent-based, enamel vanish should have no effect, and yet a more 'friendly' acrylic clear coat should cause such a dramatic change to the decal surface.
I'm going to leave this for at least 24 hours, and see if the 'wrinkled' areas settle down at all, as the effect is very like what could be expected from a decal softening or setting solution, and warnings about the use of these are printed in the decal instructions.
Meanwhile, I'm going to have to re-think the way the rest of the decals are handled and sealed. I do not want to have to clear-coat the NMF areas before decalling, as this will spoil the effect of the polished metal areas, and I'm reluctant to use more enamel varnish as a sealing coat, as this, over time, can change the tones where it's been used, on a NMF surface, again spoiling the overall effect.

One of these days, I'll be able to do a simple, straightforward, trouble-free build !
I'm going to the pub ..................

Attachments

• DSCF0001 (3).JPG
    DSCF0001 (3).JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCF0001 (17).JPG
    DSCF0001 (17).JPG
    70 KB · Views: 100
Yeah, bl**dy annoying !
When I get some more decals onto the NMF areas, I'll try an alternative clear coat, in an inconspicuous area, and see what happens. There's a chance I might just have to leave the NMF area decals without a clear coat.
I'm still very puzzled that a simple, clear acrylic can cause wrinkling to the decals, especially as the Humbrol product is also suggested as a decal sealer, and more so when a potentially more damaging, solvent-based enamel clear coat had no detrimental effect !
I'm off to the pub now - got to attend a wake for a friend who has just been found brown bread !

Hope to hear some good news Terry. I'm wondering if this has to do with the powder finish under the decal.

Haven't had time to do anything over the weekend, as I was chasing around helping in trying to trace relatives of the chap who died.
I've just the affected areas, and they seem to have settled down a bit. They're by no means perfect, and still show some soft wrinkles, so I'm going to leave these areas as they are - don' want to risk further damage.
I'm hoping to get some more done later today, so we'll see what happens. It's the small, delicate stencils I'm worried about.

Thanks mate.
I think it's because the decals are on a 'metal' surface. All of the finger-print powder is polished off, leaving a very smooth surface. I've applied decals to the same finish a number of times before, and then given them a clear coat to seal them, using various types of gloss clear coat, and I've never had this problem before.
I can only assume it's the decals, especially as the instructions warn against strong decal solutions, and they are very thin (confirmed by being easily damaged when handling), but it's really puzzling that an enamel varnish works fine, but the acrylic causes the problem, but only on the 'metal' surface.
I'm just about to start applying the rest of the decals, both from this sheet, and some from the kit decals, so we'll see if there's any difference.

Thanks Woody.
I've got most of the decals on now, including a couple from the kit's decal sheet, and they seem to be settling OK. I haven't applied any clear coat as yet, as I want to wait until all the decals, from all sources, have had plenty of time to settle and harden, and then I'll do a couple of tests before deciding on the final course of action.
Fortunately, the delicate stencil decals, one of which is quite long and narrow, went on without any problems. The Red Ensign flag on the starboard side of the fin didn't want to settle over the raised detail (the real aircraft has a 'raised' panel joint), and exhibited tiny areas of trapped air underneath which didn't want to move, even though I'd clear-coated the fin. So a couple of small holes were 'pricked' into the decal around the raised area, and some Microl Sol applied, off the tip of a paint brush, which appears to have cured the problem.
I hope to have some time tomorrow to apply the remainder of the decals, so I'll post some pics then, before getting back to some construction work involving the addition of extra detail in the avionics bay, the HUD and instrument coaming, although this work may have to wait until I'm sure the decals are properly set.
This delay might allow me to do some work on the second kit, converting it from the 'C' version, to '771' in its Danish guise.
Thanks for the continued interest and kind comments, and I'll post something more substantial very soon.

All the decals are now in place, the bulk of them being from the excellent 'Canuck Decals' sheet, with a few from the kit's decal sheet, and a few small stencils from the Danish sheet.
The model will now be left for a day or so, to let the decals 'bed in', and then it'll be cleaned, and some small areas re-touched, including the chipped roundel on the starboard nose, before sealing the decals (sealer yet to be determined!).
Meanwhile, some detail work will be done on the avionics bay cover, landing gear and wheel bay doors, as well as some more work preparing the old ESCI kit for conversion to '771' in Danish service.
Then it'll be time to continue with the remaining construction and detailing on the RCAF bird.
The pics show the decals in place, with a couple showing the removal and re-scribing of the panel line detail on the ESCI kit.

Attachments

• DSCF0001 (18).JPG
    DSCF0001 (18).JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCF0002 (18).JPG
    DSCF0002 (18).JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCF0003 (15).JPG
    DSCF0003 (15).JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCF0006 (14).JPG
    DSCF0006 (14).JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCF0008 (11).JPG
    DSCF0008 (11).JPG
    136 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCF0009.JPG
    DSCF0009.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 95
Thanks Geo. A couple of tests on small areas of the decals seemed OK, with no wrinkling - maybe they just needed to be left to 'set' longer on the 'metal' areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back