Recent Purchases (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rob , making vacuformed models is quite similar to the injected kits. The main difference is that there aren't sprues with parts but sheets of styrene with a kit pieces. And the first step it to cut them out of these sheets. Usually it is done by sanding.A sandpaper sheet has to be fixed to a flat surface. Often, all struts, blades of propellers are made as one-side "drawpieces" , quite thin of course. So it is better to fill them with an epoxy putty before cutting out by sanding. It makes cutting easier and reduce possibility of their breaking or crushing.Also there aren't set pins for parts. For that can be used a brassy wire and styrene strips.
There are included rasin and made of "white metal" additional parts often.

A couple of examples here...

AIRLINERCAFE.COM - Walter's Guide to Building Vacuform Models
Old Model Kits :: Plastic model info and howtos » Blog Archive » How To Build Vacuform Model Kits
Walter's Guide to Building Vacuform Models

Last edited:
Quite a wee bit under RRP as well! :oops: :D Getting a 400 quid bonus and payrise this week, thought that I'd treat myself! :D

Attachments

• Tamiya Lancaster TA61105.jpg
    Tamiya Lancaster TA61105.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 46
Good score with the Connie Rob and I'm with Wojetk, you need patience with vacform. I usually outline the shapes with a felt pen before cutting outside the marked line. For sanding I have a sheet of emery stuck to a sheet of glass and with it slightly dampened just gently rub the pieces until the felt marking had all gone, you must keep checking your work particularly on larger pieces as there is a tendency for one side/end to sand down quicker. Once done, test fit and adjust accordingly. Also wherever possible when joining to halves particularly in the fuselage add some guiding strips on the inside to help position and strengthen the join.

As for the Micro-sol, it's a good range of liquids which I use all the time.

Quite a wee bit under RRP as well! :oops: :D Getting a 400 quid bonus and payrise this week, thought that I'd treat myself! :D

A nice looking Lanc Jan, big bug*er to.

Bit puzzled why you've gone for a vac-form 'Connie' Rob, when there are numerous 1/72nd kits around in injection stuff - but each to their own I suppose.
Jan old chap, re our telecon - you bucky lastard !!!

Aye! 20+ under RRP!! Happy with that and the lass shipped the kit yesterday.....so soon......:oops:

I also received this yesterday....

DSCF0003-140.jpg

And I snapped this one up, for just wee snifter over 10 quid!!! Oh come on....you can't blame me for that, eh?! Who wouldn't!? :oops: :lol:

EduardFw190D-9Late.jpg

.................................................:lol:

As I was saying, the lass shipped my Lancaster yesterday and today, before I even got a chance to hit the sack for some well needed zzZzzZZzzzZ....

DSCF0003-141.jpg

DSCF0004-120.jpg

DSCF0005-109.jpg

DSCF0006-91.jpg

DSCF0007-79.jpg

DSCF0008-75.jpg

DSCF0009-73.jpg

DSCF0010-60.jpg

DSCF0011-68.jpg

DSCF0012-58.jpg

DSCF0013-54.jpg

:oops: :oops: :lol:

What a kit! :shock:

Have to say though Herr Dr. Dipl. Engineer, Prof...etc., etc., Wojtek, that I'm disappointed with Tamiya's instrument panel, it's just a flat thingy, no structure whatsoever....the decals are excellent, but.....still... :( Still one h*ll of a kit! H-U-G-E! :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back