Recent Purchases (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cool Rob! Why are you sanding that down? Looks good to me.

Picked this up today:

ee5eb0c3.jpg

fac127ca.jpg

I wasn't originally going to build another Super Hornet, but after seeing this photo I decided I needed to replicate it.

boeing-f-a-18f-super-hornet-3206-2560x1600.jpg

Despite having the decals for the actual bird in that photo, since the kit comes with the 50th anniversary plane, I'll be doing it in that scheme instead.

dback50th.jpg

50 anniversary of what?

Didn't hornets enter service in the 80s and were designed in the 70s?

Cool looking decals BTW.

Cool Rob! Why are you sanding that down? Looks good to me.

for one, I feel I did'nt do enough for this aircraft, plus I've got lufthansa decals and the shorter nose. and secondly, I wanna do another TWA constellation, but paying better attention, making this next constellation look 10 times better than the old one.

@ Trebor
Those Connies are awesome!. That has to be the grand-dame of the civil airliners. Got me a semi-finished revell kit waiting on the shelf of doom as well. I hope to finish it in KLM livery some time. Although I think I want to wait until the one under restauration in The Netherlands (at the Aviodrome museum) is finished so I can do it in the proper registration and with the right name.

Last edited:
The MATS connie looks nice indeed, but me being the Dutchie..my vote obviously goes to the KLM ;)

here's a detailed history on N494TW Lockheed Constellation Survivors

EDIT: and just to clear up, I don't hate the KLM connie, I just hate the fact that an AIRWORTHY Constellation was sacrificed to make another one fly.

I understand ;) I was just poking a little fun. Not sure why they did it either...but I figure there must have been a good reason for them to do it. In the classic aviation restoration business these things don't get taken lightly is my impression.

Latest addition to the stash. Could be a real challenging build, which prolly also explains why you don't see it build too often. From what I've read about it, it's a bit of a mixed bag in terms of fit, although not totally unbuildable like other renditions of the P-38.
academy-p38f.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure you will do it justice!

I hope to do so indeed. I've found an extensive build-report of a fellow Dutch modeller (a very experienced one at that) that had a rough ride with an Academy P-38, he sent me a copy of his report, and told me the experience still gave him the cold shivers, but in the end the kit was worth the effort), so with that report under the belt I'll hopefully will be able to identify any problems at an earlier stage and tackle them earlier on in the build (or maybe try a different approach to it...think spacers in certain area's rather then fill, sand away countless gaps and steps) to hopefully avoid a never ending trip down filling/sanding lane (his build came out nice though in the end, so despite the challenge it can lead to a very nice Lightning without a doubt)

Last edited:
The Hasegawa P-38 is not without it's problems too. It will take a bit of effort and a lot of sanding and scraping, but the end result is satisfying. When I finished mine, I swore I'd never do another.......hasn't stopped me adding another couple to the stash though, so when the pain has dulled enough I just might start another.

Cheers

Peter

I've built the Academy P38J and, apart from the usual fiddling around to align the tail booms, there wasn't any major problems as I recall.

Yea...well that's the confusing part. I've seen very experienced modellers both having a very hard time with it and put it together fairly easy (apart from the obivous tail-booms), oh well, time will tell I guess

Lightning? Or Buccaneer? The latter being a real t**t !
No, the P38 wasn't a problem, just needed a bit of care and patience. Here's a pic of the (still !) unfinished model.

Attachments

• models 10 -08 012.jpg
    models 10 -08 012.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 82
That's unfinished? I wish my finished ones were a tenth as good :lol:

One for Jan here, combining two of his favourite things, Swedishness and armour (and I'm sure there's a can of Guinness in the breech!), my latest eBay win:

S-TankBoxshot.jpg

Really looking forward to this, I'm on hols all next week, but when I'm back the Chieftain and Jaguar will be polished off and this will be built alongside a Hasegawa Phantom I've had kicking about for ages. Happy days ahead... 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back