Recent Purchases (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This arrived today, one of the later issues of this old (1960s) kit. It'll be built as a diorama, for Mike Harrison, who's uncle was lost in a 76 Sqn Halifax at Holme on Spalding Moor, shot down by a Me410 intruder. I'll provide details when I start the build, hopefully with the preparation commencing on the weekend.

Attachments

• Halifax build 002.jpg
    Halifax build 002.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 83
Thanks Andy. I've been gathering bits and pieces for the diorama, and hope to portray the aircraft being 'bombed up', with the usual equipment found at a bomber dispersal spread around.

Agree with the chaps old boy, can't wait to see you work magic on this one!
One question though, how does the Airfix Halixfax compare to the Matchbox one?
Been thinking of getting the Airfix Stirling, Lancaster and Matchbox Halifax for simple nostalgia... :lol:

Well old boy, the Airfix kit is the MkIII, with Hercules radial engines and longer wing span, and the kit is around fifty years old. That said, it was quite advanced for it's time but, by today's standards, is quite basic. The surface is covered in rivets which, surprisingly, on my example aren't too bad, and can be lightly sanded, retaining just a ghost under paint. Overall detail again is basic but, even straight from the box, in this scale, can produce a reasonable model. Note there are no separate doors for the fuselage or wing bomb bays.
The 'Matchbox' kit is the Merlin-engined variant - shorter span, and choice of early or late fins, and again can produce a nice model. However, if you want a good Merlin Halifax, then go with the newer Revell issue - new tool, various Mark options, and, from what I've seen, a nice kit. Also the best overall Halifax kit in this scale (or any scale, come to that!).

Also with the new Revell, which is possibly based on the Matchbox, as Revell released this kit under their label after the demise of MB. But the new kit is definitely new tool, and nicely detailed, with a number of options not included in the original MB kit. Now, is it your round or mine old chap?

Read some reviews not long ago re the Halifax kits. Main points were:
Matchbox/ Revell early release kit most correct in form, nose just needs a 2.5 mm correction (Falcon do corrected clear vacform noses).
Airfix kit most accurate radial version.
Revell new tool most detailed, though has shape problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back