Remains of pilot missing 18 years in Iraq found

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
WASHINGTON – The remains of the first American lost in the Persian Gulf War have been found in Iraq, the military said Sunday, after struggling for nearly two decades with the question of whether he was dead or alive.

The Armed Forces Institute of Pathology has positively identified the remains of Navy Capt. Michael "Scott" Speicher, whose disappearance has bedeviled investigators since his fighter jet was shot down over the Iraq desert on the first night of the 1991 war.

The rest of the story is here:
Remains of pilot missing 18 years in Iraq found - Yahoo! News

25122.gif

:salute:

Welcome home Capt. Michael "Scott" Speicher! It is about damn time! Never fogotten!

The camp that I was based out of in Iraq was actually named after him. Camp Speicher, Tikrit, Iraq.
Camp Speicher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Except that it was not nearly as nice when we got there as they make it out to be. We did not have a large PX, food court, or anything like that. The runways were still bombed out, the hangers were bombed out and we were sleeping in tents for a few months before the "units" got there.

I remember very clearly when Capt. Speicher went missing and have wondered if he was ever captured or was KIA. I am glad that he has finally come home. Rest in peace.

This, in some small way, is good news. At least the family will have closure. For years there has been speculation, and
unconfirmed reports of him being seen alive. Now, the episode will be brought to an end with another serviceman
being brought home. :salute:

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back