I will tell a story about an individual veteran that I consider to be the best of my friends... Seeing how this info has been de-classed, I think his story is worth repeating...
While temporarily attached to ST4, I met a teammate named Carlos... He was to become a close friend...
As we were motoring into the surf outside Patilla, I commented to him that there were an awful amount of lights on the airstrip... This was to prove that bad nights only get worse....
We were attached to Gulf Platoon, tasked with taking out Noriegas Learjet... Once we were within 100 meters of the hanger, we became engaged, heavily... First squad, with Carlos, took several casualties in the opening combat, being completely exposed on the airfield...
After being hit in the thigh, Carlos attempted to withdraw dragging TM2 Rodriguez, who was dead... Carlos was then hit again, this time in the lower back, on the right side.... He would be paralyzed from then on...
While bleeding copious amounts of blood, and unable to move his legs, Carlos attempted to save the life of CPO McFaul, which he was unable to do, while continuing to lay down covering fire in support of 2nd squad and his embattled posistion... Incase any are wondering, I carried the AT-4 rocket that finally destroyed the Lear...
Carlos was/is my hero.... The bravery and integrity that he showed, changed my life forever... I sit here now with tears in my eyes as I type this...
Its quite difficult to talk about losing friends, and I thank God that someone declared this weekend as "Veterans Day"..