Revell 1/32 Me-109g

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep, concentrate on making those seams as invisible as possible, try some scratch building, like seat harness' and such, we are always here to give ideas and methods.

Toothpaste will eventually dissolve or decay, and can have a reaction with paint. It's the equivalent of using butter, instead of putty, to hold glass in a window frame!
A good filler for small gaps is PVA (white glue), which can be applied as a bead, using the tip of a cocktail stick. Any excess can be wiped off with a wet finger tip, and, when dry, the PVA will be clear (making it excellent for canopy joints), and can be painted over. If required, for deeper gaps/joints, further applications can be done, until the gap is smooth and flush.
Toothpaste as a long-term filler is probably as useful as a chocolate teapot I'm afraid!

That solves that mystery. Thanks AF, Your insight on things is always useful.

You're welcome.
Your Dad is not wrong, by the way. Toothpaste will go hard - but it's very messy to use, and will eventually absorb moisture, probably crack first, then erode. If it gets wet of course, it'll dissolve. There are better alternatives. As Paul mentioned, toothpaste was/is used as a 'bodge' job to disguise nail holes etc, instead of doing it properly.

I'm back in biz,my MM RLM's arrived today,but no 76. Will have to use Hu28+90 orHu65 or Rev49. These are the closest I have. Any better ideas are certainly welcome. Now to re-paint cockpit rlm02

For the cockpit interior either of the F variant or the G type you have to use the RLM66. The RLM02 was used for the Bf109A-D and the early Bf109E only.

I think the mix of Hu28+90 or Hu28+Hu65 can be fine.I would suggest mixing 50% Humbrol 65 and 50% Humbrol 28 what means the mix ratio is 1:1. But you can vary a little bit the percentages of 28 and 65 in the mix for RLM 76 if you wanted it more grey or blue.
Another mix can be 75% Hu64+25% Hu65. Also you can use Hu127 for the RLM76.

A couple of samples of the colour that might be used.... I would follow the first one.

fs36473.jpg
fs35622.jpg
fs35414.jpg

Finally,RLM paint and back to the factory.This one seems to have less fit issues than the MK1.( or I am just getting better at this) Have to wait for paint to cure before assembly.Man I am impatient. DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING YOU IDIOT(me):D It's hard to tell but it is 66

Attachments

• sub 001.JPG
    sub 001.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 92
  • sub 003.JPG
    sub 003.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 85
  • sub 002.JPG
    sub 002.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 75
  • sub 004.JPG
    sub 004.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 73
Cleaning up the parts before gluing things together is the way to a good fit, and test fitting before gluing is swell also. Masking tape will help to keep things together to check on fit.

Not going to screw this one up or Goering will have me shot. Isn't that right Air Marshall Wurger:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back