Revell Monogram B-24 J Liberator 1:48 scale

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jeff Hunt

1st Lieutenant
Jul 20, 2012
Guelph Ontario Canada
This one has now made its way to the workbench.

IMG_0001.JPG

I did not like the decal sheet so I have purchased this one...

IMG_0002.JPG

My preference is to build this model as Double Trouble mainly because I love the red and white tail surface. The issue I have is that DT is a B-24 H model.

I am assuming that there may have been airframe differences between the H and J model. I believe the nose turret was different in some H models but was eventually standardized on the J model turret. Is anyone aware of other differences that would seriously put me offside should I go with Double Trouble?

If the differences were too large or too obvious I have no trouble switching to Gypsy Queen as she is the only J model represented on the decal sheet.

I will once again be seeking advice and assistance from many and any and all advice will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeff

It is said the main difference between the H type and the J version was the nose turret. However both the H variant and the J one were equipped either with the Emerson A-15 or Consolidated A-6/A-6A/A-6B. Initially the Consolidated A-6 turret was attached for the H and J versions. But in Spring of 1944 the Fort Worth factory started assembling B-24J with the Emerson A-15 turred as the standard one. Also, the early B-24H was equipped with the Martin A-3C dosal turret but the later one ( probably from 30 series ) was armed with the a new Martin A-3D dorsal turret of a bigger plexi hood for better visibility. The same was with the J type because both the B-24H and B-24J were assembling simultaneously by the same factories. As a result the differences depended on a factory and period of time. Usually these variations weren't major ones and making a clear distinction between both types is often possible with serials only.

Last edited:
It coming a promising model to build Jeff!! :shock:

I'm no expert, but I find more or less everything on the web, I'll share this page I found with information, versions, prototypes, characteristics, videos and images that you can be useful.

Consolidated B-24 Liberator [Bombardero Pesado]

(Btw, I did not know if the routing of the link correctly :oops: :rolleyes:)

I hope I was able to help you with something.
I am waiting to learn from your formidable models.

See you soon amigo :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wurger: WOW !! It's amazing ... how much I can learn from You.
Thanks for the interesting classes that I can see in this forum.

Good one Jeff. I have the same kit which, eventually, will be made as a 'H' model, in a diorama setting.
The info Wojtek has supplied is basically correct, but sorting out the detail differences can be a potential minefield, as each factory had slight differences, including the pattern of the paint scheme, and these changes were compounded by 'Block number' mods, as well as field mods etc.
Also, depending on specific period, the ball turret might be omitted, waist windows differed, etc etc.
There is an excellent reference book, which Glenn (T-Bolt) made me wise to, which explains, in detail, all of the various combinations, and it's well worth obtaining a copy, before you start work, as this will certainly clarify, and simplify, what's required.
The kit is, basically, a late model 'J', with a configuration that was relatively rare for any 8th AF crate before late 1944, but mods are fairly straightforward, and may include the use of vac-form transparent parts for the bombardiers glazing, main canopy etc.
The book is entitled "Consolidated Mess" - (there's a clue to the problem!!) - by Alan Griffith, published by MMP Books.
When I get a chance to check-out your subject, I might be able to offer more info, and possibly Glenn will also chip in, but, meanwhile, I strongly recommend getting that book (it's A4 format, softback, and not too expensive), as, if nothing else, it'll be a very interesting read.

According to the info sheet that came with the decals, Double Trouble was a B-24H-15-CF 42-29385 assigned to the 467th bomb group

IMG_0001.JPG

disregard the right side top wing marking as it applies to another aircraft included in the decal sheet.

It would appear that I have stepped " into a big pile " once again. This one has the potential to reach FW 190 markings and mods proportions.

Cheers,

Jeff

Last edited:
I see Jeff. So it is the one seen in the third pic uploaded in my post above. However the serial seems to be incorrect. I have checked on a couple of references and the serial should be 41-29385 that is the one of the batch of B-24H-15-CF made by Consolidated factory ( serials 41-29336/29606 ) and belonged to the 789th BS.

Undoubtedly the nose turret was the Emerson A-15 one. The nose wheel bay had doors open outside. Also please, notice the protruding side window of the navigator's compartment.

DOUBLETROUBLE-V2-1.jpg

Last edited:
I see Jeff. So it is the one seen in the third pic uploaded in my post above. However the serial seems to be incorrect. I have checked on a couple of references and the serial should be 41-29385 that is the one of the batch of B-24H-15-CF made by Consolidated factory ( serials 41-29336/29606 ) and belonged to the 789th BS.

Undoubtedly the nose turret was the Emerson A-15 one. The nose wheel bay had doors open outside.

DOUBLETROUBLE-V2-1.jpg

Interesting.

Two things.

1. There is no serial number decal included with the sheet nor is there a data block decal so as it stands there will be no "identification" as to serial number on the model.

2. Joe Baugher's excellent website does not include 42-29385 as a B-24 H serial number.

Cheers,

Jeff

So I agree with Joe Baugher. There wasn't a such serial for the B-24H-15-CF batch.

With regard to the point 1 ... it's better. :lol: However it is possible the serial could have been painted on the internal sides of fins like it can be seen in the pic of the B-24 Liberator 467th Bomb Group 791st Bomb Squadron. But it should be checked.

B-24_Liberator_467_BG_791_BS.jpg

or the Ford B-24H-15-FO Liberator Bomber code 6A-N 42-52507 of the 467th Bomb Group 789th Bomb Squadron

B-24_Bomber_467_bomb_group_789_Bomb_squadron_Miss_Judy.jpg

Last edited:
The 'Double Trouble' with the 467th BG at Rackheath was serial number 41 - 29385, and was a Consolidated/Fort Worth- built B-24 H-15-CF.
She flew with the 791st Bomb Squadron, with the code letters 4Z-H+, and then with the 790th BS, with codes Q2-S.
The aircraft had the earlier 'blown' navigator's windows, as shown in the previously posted photo, and should have applique armour glass on the canopy side and front windows, and fuselage applique armour, although the glass armour doesn't seem to be present in the starboard side photo.
The Bombardier's window was of the 'low window' configuration, different to that in the kit, and the rear turret was the A-6B type (as per kit). Nose turret was Emerson (as per kit), but in the Ford 'S' fairing, and waist gun positions were un-glazed.
Vac-form canopy and bombardier's glazing are available, I believe from Squadron.
The camouflage demarcation should be the Consolidated Pattern II (straight), which differs from that shown in the profile.

Last edited:
Thanks my friend.
I forgot to mention - the second pic, in Post #11, with the two girls in the nose art, is a different 'Double Trouble', being a B-24J-70-CO, from the 392nd BG at Wendling, and was Serial Number 42-100100.

Yep.. going through the net I have found a couple of "Double Trouble" Liberators of different versions and serials. Therefore I have asked Jeff which one he meant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back