Revell Monogram B-24 J Liberator 1:48 scale

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The 'Double Trouble' with the 467th BG at Rackheath was serial number 41 - 29385, and was a Consolidated/Fort Worth- built B-24 H-15-CF.
She flew with the 791st Bomb Squadron, with the code letters 4Z-H+, and then with the 790th BS, with codes Q2-S.
The aircraft had the earlier 'blown' navigator's windows, as shown in the previously posted photo, and should have applique armour glass on the canopy side and front windows, and fuselage applique armour, although the glass armour doesn't seem to be present in the starboard side photo.
The Bombardier's window was of the 'low window' configuration, different to that in the kit, and the rear turret was the A-6B type (as per kit). Nose turret was Emerson (as per kit), but in the Ford 'S' fairing, and waist gun positions were un-glazed.
Vac-form canopy and bombardier's glazing are available, I believe from Squadron.
The camouflage demarcation should be the Consolidated Pattern II (straight), which differs from that shown in the profile.

So I need to somehow find the navigator blown window ( don't like my chances ) a new canopy which will be easy and the lower piece of glass for the nose of the aircraft if I understand you correctly. Not much I can do for the Ford "S" fairing as that sounds like surgery on the fuselage.

When you say the waist guns positions were unglazed do you mean without any glass or as per the kit with the small windows? I will probably finish the model with the windows in the open position or laying on the floor of the gunners positions.

Sorry to be a bother.

Cheers,

Jeff

The Navigator's windows could be moulded from clear sheet, by making a simple balsa 'male' mould, using the heat method.
Yes, the waist windows were open, no glass, with the hatch (with the small window) hinging inwards and upwards, and the gun(s) mounted on the internal pintle, as per the kit.
Glenn made the Ford 'S' fairing for the nose on his model, and shows how it's done in his thread. A bit fiddly, but not too difficult in 1/48th scale.
I have the canopy and Bombardier's vac-form window for my kit, when I get around to building it, which was a bonus included in the kit I bought from a show, so I'll dig it out and get the part number etc.
If it will help, and given I can get my scanner to work with this bl**dy irritating Windows 'Vista', I can post line drawings of the specific sub-type, along with an illustration of the correct camouflage demarcation, and probably a couple of photos of the canopy and other areas, all from the 'Consolidated Mess' book mentioned previously.
Oh, one other point, although fairly minor - the rudder trim tabs were longer on this sub-model.

Got a bit done on the weekend. Started with putting the waist gunner's "deck" together. Put a bit of wear and tear into it and figured it will look okay buried in the fuselage.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

The Navigator's windows could be moulded from clear sheet, by making a simple balsa 'male' mould, using the heat method.
Yes, the waist windows were open, no glass, with the hatch (with the small window) hinging inwards and upwards, and the gun(s) mounted on the internal pintle, as per the kit.
Glenn made the Ford 'S' fairing for the nose on his model, and shows how it's done in his thread. A bit fiddly, but not too difficult in 1/48th scale.
I have the canopy and Bombardier's vac-form window for my kit, when I get around to building it, which was a bonus included in the kit I bought from a show, so I'll dig it out and get the part number etc.
If it will help, and given I can get my scanner to work with this bl**dy irritating Windows 'Vista', I can post line drawings of the specific sub-type, along with an illustration of the correct camouflage demarcation, and probably a couple of photos of the canopy and other areas, all from the 'Consolidated Mess' book mentioned previously.
Oh, one other point, although fairly minor - the rudder trim tabs were longer on this sub-model.

You're killing me man, just killing me.:shock:

The scans would be way cool if it is not too much of a bother.

Cheers,

jeff

Man what a Tag team effort this is, you guys are super on the research effort. Great support also and I have both the D and the J in the closet and am eyeing the D for the Med GB. I'll need to pay attention here and look at Glens build. Nice work so far.

Sorry for the delay in posting this lot Jeff - I had to work out how to get my scanner to work with 'Vista' !
So, here are the drawings and photos from the 'Consolidated Mess' book, showing the style of Bombardier's windows, Navigator's 'blown' windows and armoured canopy etc.
Also attached is the diagram showing the correct style of camouflage demarcation for the B-24H-15 CF.
The Ford 'S' nose turret fairing is also clearly visible in the photos and drawings.
The vac-form canopy set is, as I thought, from 'Squadron', and is number 9573. The canopy leaflet is attached, showing the fitting details for cutting, as well as the shape of the parts, and I've included a pic of the parts themselves, although it's not a very good view.
I hope these help, but if you need further info, just shout !

Attachments

• B-24 Nav window.jpg
    B-24 Nav window.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 149
  • B-24 nose.jpg
    B-24 nose.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 159
  • Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 165
  • Colour pattern.jpg
    Colour pattern.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 161
  • Canopy leaflet.jpg
    Canopy leaflet.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 162
  • canopy lflt 2.jpg
    canopy lflt 2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 158
  • Canopy.jpg
    Canopy.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
You're welcome Jeff. I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in on my kit, although it'll be some time before I can get started, so I'll be following your build with interest.
Mine will be 'Naughty Nan', from the 446th BG at Bungay, UK.

Naughty Nan kinda makes me glad I called my parent's mothers grandma instead of Nan.....

Next question.

Inside of rudders below the horizontal stabilizers.....olive drab of grey?

I am currently working on the tail section of this aircraft. I have the outside of the rudders painted red. I need to let them dry thoroughly before I paint on the white stripes and then I will add the rubber de-icing boots. I will do the inside as required and also paint the horizontal stab. , top and bottom and then assemble same.

Next question.

Antenna wires, if any, where would be the attachment points?

I know I am being a bother but I am now in for a penny, in for a pound so I might as well try to get it as correct as possible.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Jeff

Inside of the fins and rudders were Olive Drab.
I haven't seen any antenna wires on 8th AF B-24s, but, when fitted for HF radio (eg, in the PTO) they would run from each fin tip to the mid-fuselage, above the rear bomb bay. Not needed on your subject though, as a trailing aerial would be used as required.
Just a tip for future reference when painting red with white. Paint the white area first - in this case, the entire fin and rudder - and when fully dry, mask, and paint the red area. Painting white over red can be a real pain, trying to obtain the required density, and red often reacts with the white, even if dried for some time, causing a pinkish hue.

Progress on the tail unit has begun. I would be further along but I suffered a major brain cramp and painted the white strip on the left rudder in the wrong direction so I stripped it down and repainted it red. It will be tomorrow at the earliest that I apply the white strip and the H+ decal. I only applied a bit of Future to where the decal on the right rudder was applied as I am still mulling over whether I will weather this aircraft on the outside or go factory fresh in appearance. I am leaning towards factory fresh but I will see. I left it flat just in case I change my mind. It will all get the Future treatment in the future.

7.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

Last edited:
Looking good young man!
Got two B-24's sitting (....and two B-17's, two B-29's) this is bl**dy twisting my arm to get a third one...only because this bird, had a gentleman by the name of Nordstrom (family name) as a waist gunner....

One of the B-24's that he and his mates, crewed on....

heavensabove3_zps5wwbnwmj.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back