Rocketeer's Spit V (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Those few shots don't really do you justice for the amount of work you've poured into that MK1 'slice-though'. I did get the chance for a quick looksee over the weekend, and she is upto your usual high standard of workmanship and it shows mate !. Top marks for turning her out in such a short space of time, you did real good dude!!. :thumbup:

Cheers all and Gaz.....on the other forum they dont seem so keen!!

Paint it grey and stick a pointy end it and they'll be fawning all over you dude !. Distinct lack of Warbirds shots ....every bl**dy year !. Think I may make an exception and post some shots to rectify the situation later, methinks :twisted:

That would be good!!! I put a few of your stang up....including Ken with your legs....I think it is probably an invisible post!!

Cheers chaps.

In response to Eben's request. The Mk1 project was born from a crazed idea at the 2011 CockpitFest to use parts I had for a Mk1 slice thru.

There were a few parts that I do not have the capability to make, these include the multiple curved parts that the gunsight mount fits to and the top hats that sit above the longerons.
I had a column etc. I will write this as if I was starting afresh now!

A chap near Brighton provides control column parts (he could do a whole kit!), he also does the flap lever, blind flying panel mounts, gunsight mount, trim wheels, single (Supermarine marked) or two tier rudder pedals.

I have drawings for Frame 8, I used these scaled up and with dimensions to make a 1:1 plywood former. I cut these out in commercial soft aluminum.
For the U channel, I used a folder to make a straight section and then my shrinker stretcher to bend it around. At this point I should state that anyone could do this! I am a 'paper' engineer - a Flight Test Engineer, I have no shop metal experience other than a 2 week course when at University - rest is self taught.

The tools are all basic metal shop amateur versions:-

Folder (about £60)
shrinker stretcher (£120) great fun to use!!!
Hole cutters/punches - need about 4 sizes
Flange tools to flare holes - great fun too!!
Rubber hammers
Plywood for formers.
Compressor and air hammer (to do solid rivets)

If there is the interest I could write more?

Hi Tony

Thanks for your post.
I have been following a few of these builds dreaming of doing something one day. Seeing some of the progress work is amazing but i always wondered how you guys accomplish some of these builds, as to how you start a project. eg
start with drawings and get printed to full size, or scale to full size and hand cut aluminium, fold etc or have panels cad drawn than laser cut, folded pressed etc.

Amazing that it is mostly hand done, i wondered how some of these items were made and how some of the curved parts are produced as to how many tools are required
English wheel, folders, presses etc

I am sure any more beginner style post would be appreciated by not just me
keep up the great work
Eben

I try to use original parts wherever possible. I have original drawings and where I need to, I make parts. It is actually easier than you would think. I love taking an 8 by 4ft sheet of ally and turning it into frames or skins. I am currently making the intermediate former that goes in front of the hurri instrument panel. I am also making another 1/4 cockpit using and original Spitfire screen unit, gunsight frame mounts. This will allow us to 'demo' the reflector gunsight at small displays and in the museum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back