Rocketeer's Spit V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rocketeer

Senior Airman
Jan 19, 2009
Salisbury
Right chaps.....this is my Spitfire project. It aims to use as many original parts as possible. There are parts from over 35 different Spits....the object is to create a fuselage section from Frame 5 (firewall) back to Frame 13 (three behind pilots seats). I have had to fabricate some frames. Correct construction standards and materials are being used. The idea is that it will look like someone has removed the engine, wings and read fuselage so all other fittings are kept (i.e. engine frame attachments and wing attachments).
The first photo shows what it started from!

Attachments

• PICT0065.jpg
    PICT0065.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 550
  • PICT0179.jpg
    PICT0179.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 541
  • july 083.jpg
    july 083.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 540
last batch....dont wanna bore you! If you do want more check my website....

Attachments

• spit4.jpg
    spit4.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 547
  • spit5.jpg
    spit5.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 530
  • spit6.jpg
    spit6.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 531
Absolutely stunning mate!!!! Great work...and you will achieve your goal, it already looks like someone has removed the rest rather than it has been built.

Can't wait to see more.

Darryl

(heading off to slash wrists now)

Yeahhhhh...good man. She does look good mate.

The hours we've spent doing the rivetting while stooping over / laying under /on our backs upside down inside, makes you wonder how the girls did it full time when the Spits where in full production...and I dont recall any wartime shots showing them wearing ear defenders like we use either !. Respect !.
Its also extremely very physical which ever side of the rivet you are looking after (you should change your handle to Riveteer !:lol:)...as I'm sure you'll agree !.

As anyone reading this who has ever built / restored a car / bike / boat etc will know, you seem to spend a whole lot of time making up the sub assemblies with nothing much to show for all your hard work then there comes that day when you finally get to bolt them all together and you stand back...and realise you've created a masterpiece.

Lets have some more shots of the sub assemblies and any more anecdotes (printable ones that is !) you'd like to share

Looks awesome. Always someone making me realize I have such a long way to go ;)

Nate

Thanx chaps....if anyone needs any detailed modelling shots, let me know. That goes for any of my projects. Regards and have a good weekend!

Many thanx....yep lots of original stuff.....I have done quite a bit on her this week......the bottom carry thru spars were quite corroded on the starboard side. I recently acquired a better pair removed recently from two flying aircraft so popped those on. Popped is not really the word!! Took 6 hours for the swap!!

Today, I restored my oxygen economiser, using an original Mk5 unit from a aircraft that ditched in the sea and a later unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back