Rocketeer's Spit V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A Seafire cockpit in the lounge?!
"Where's tonights' newspaper dear?"
"Oh, it's just behind the Seafire, next to the gun button, opposite the oil cooler on the shelf"!!!!!

You've been to Tony's then ?

Where abouts in Salisbury are you Tony? My great uncle, George S Travers, lives in West Harnham. He was the airframe fitter of PS888, the Spit PR.XIX that performed the last operational Spitfire sortie...

Something different......these two pictures show an early oxygen bottle (from a Hawker Hurricane shot down in the Battle of Britain) and the bottle for my Spit. The later bottle shows wire reinforcement. This bottle is also shown post sympathetic restoration. The white lettering can just be made out on the bottle. On the Spit, the bottle is on the starboard side, immediately behind the pilot seat (frame 11).
The spit has seen a few small changes....nothing too big. The seat is 90% restored now.

Attachments

• P1000948.jpg
    P1000948.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 134
  • P1000950.jpg
    P1000950.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 136
Great details mate, thanks!

Btw, If you want to get in touch with Uncle George, let me know - also if you're interested in joining the 81 sqn. association, likewise based in Salisbury.

Well, getting on with finishing my firewall.

Finished the L bracket.....will be rivetted on this pm (boring F1 race so going out soon!!)
Designed and ordered the trolley....should be here wednesday

Started removal of corrosion on my poor canopy
Various steelwork in the corrosion removal bath
listing stuff on Ebay as I am poor!!

Attachments

• P1010285.JPG
    P1010285.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 182
  • P1010286.JPG
    P1010286.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 181
Ok chaps been busy....the rudder trim is ready to fit, I designed a trolley which spitty is on now, the canopy (is fairly poor) but has been primed etc. Thought I would post a piccyy of the humungus battery!!! Also is a picture of my best Merlin, though he thinks he owns me!!cheers all....working towards the big display!!

Attachments

• P1010303.JPG
    P1010303.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 149
  • P1010304.JPG
    P1010304.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 144
  • P1010305.JPG
    P1010305.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 146
  • P1010306.JPG
    P1010306.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 146
  • merly.jpg
    merly.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 145
Cheers old chap....he sits on his bottom so well!!

I have a quiz for you all.....In my post 48, to the left of the spit, on top of the Merlin 20, is a canopy...any ideas what its off?!

my wheel is in ally and came from a guy I know...charges abot £30.

I have just taken a short break from putting up the paint curtain to try and protect the rest of the 'shop inmates from the cockpit green, camo, sky, silver that is going on shortly!

The canopy is off a Spiteful....it is unique and was 'thrown in' when I bought a spitfire windscreen! I almost did not bother!!!!

my wheel is in ally and came from a guy I know...charges abot £30.

I have just taken a short break from putting up the paint curtain to try and protect the rest of the 'shop inmates from the cockpit green, camo, sky, silver that is going on shortly!

The canopy is off a Spiteful....it is unique and was 'thrown in' when I bought a spitfire windscreen! I almost did not bother!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back