Russell Bf109E For Sale

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nah, if I boughyt it, I'd fly it ... wait, since it is a Bf 109, maybe I WOULD need Steve Hinton to say that the taildragger skills were up to it, huh?

See ya' Saturday, Brian! I'm trying to meet TCinLA at Flo's at about 8:30 for breakfast with Kevin. Join us.

Yes it is. Not sure if the panel would pass muster here in the USA, but I prefer to keep it as original as possible.

Here I believe you'd NEED an altimeter that read in feet and speed in knots since it would be easy to bust the 10,000 foot speed limit of 250 knots. Maybe a small digital thing would work just fine.

I'm also very glad they fitted an electricstarter ... unlike the original.

GregP,

What does the law state? You can't exceed 250 knots if you are under 10,000 feet? Why?

Hi Pinsog

The speed limit below 10,000 feet is 250 knots. I don't KNOW why except that is where most aircraft come into the closest contact with one another. There are speed limits down low almost everywhere in the world, but sometimes there is nobody around to monitor it, also depending were you are. If you're in North America or Europe, somebody will be watching.

You CAN get permission to exceed that speed for special events like a race or an airshow, but it is very specific and takes coordination to not run afoul of the authorities otherwise.

You might get away with going fast somehwere in Africa or over some islands if nobody is watching the radar, but you don't really know when that is. Maybe parts of Peru where the mountains hide you from radar coverage ... but nowhere NEAR where I live in Southern California. They might not watch the middle of Australia ... depends on if there is any water left. But you can bet they're watching the coast where the people are located.

Last edited:

I learn something new every day. Thank you.

Source: Federal Aviation Regulation Sec. 91.117 - Aircraft speed.

I found this thread discussing an airline crash in the 1960's or possibly bird strikes being the reason for the 250 knot speed limit.
Origin of the 250 knots below 10,000 ft rule - PPRuNe Forums

Wheels

I reckon the Boomerang and the Avenger are the bargains to be had on that website, however hearing the DB engine whenever you wanted to would be a dream. Some lucky devil will snap it up.

Users who are viewing this thread