Russian Pe-3 Bis, Russia's first use of radar for a night fighter (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys for your patience. I did get some more items accomplished. Granted not great but doing what I can. :) I drilled the hole in right side for machine gun as called out in directions. Made seat belt for gunner in back and started working on the rest of the flight controls. :)
IMG_0961.jpg
IMG_0956.jpg
IMG_0957.jpg
IMG_0958.jpg
IMG_0959.jpg
IMG_0960.jpg

On the left side I started on the throttles but as you can see, has a ways to go.

really curious gentlemen do we know for fact where these Soviet NF's served on the Ost front ? if we can narrow it down am sure Dr. Theo Boiten can fill us in as to casualties if any from LW Night fighters as his work on the Ost front continues and available hopefully in the year 2015.

Thanks all for your support. It really helps me keep moving and trying to do a good job of it. Always learning new things as I go through each model.

Hello Erich, from what I have in the directions, it says these planes with radars operated in the Moscow district. I don't know if that would help but any information about these planes would be great as that is another reason for this hobby... to learn. BTW, for my next plane, I would like to build the Wabash Cannon Ball IV but I will need help locating someone who can make the decals for it. I already have the plane and a few pictures.

in time we will know I believe from Dr. Boitens work, am not sure myslef what was flown around near or above Moscow. Wabash am curious what pics you are using as I interviewed the pilot, CO of the 425th nfs at his home here in Orygun some years back..............

I found some pictures of this plane when I was looking for anything and everything about P-61's. I showed you the picture of the pilot you interviewed on another thread. The pictures I have were when this plane was in maintenance. I also found other websites that have artists renditions in profile of this plane and several others.

Ok, I finally found time to do more on this plane. Finished up more of the forward section adding bits of things I found from the reference material. Added a few windows and brought the halves together. Any guidance would be appreciated as I continue to learn. Thanks.

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 119
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 120
There is still some of working achead of you but looking good so far. :thumbright:

I know, the gaps are terrible but I will be filling these in and smoothing them out. That window on the top was suppose to be a solid piece but since I couldn't find that part I had to sand the window detail flat and glue in place. I'll be filling this in as well. The windows were kind of tricky but I followed you advice and coated them in future then attached them with white glue. No fogging as far as I could see.

Looking good so far. As the windows are attached with PVA, be very careful when masking, particularly when removing the masks after painting. Before applying any masking tape, run it between your finger and thumb, pinching slightly, to remove some of the tack, and fit it lightly in place. This should minimise the possibility of the windows pulling out when the tape is removed.
For future reference, if at all possible, fit windows after painting, if they don't need to be blended in, and can be fitted from the outside, and 'stuff' the apertures with damp tissue or crumpled kitchen foil. They can then be fitted after painting the model, by applying a few small spots of PVA (white glue) to hold the transparent part, then sealing the entire window in place by running a thin bead around the periphery, applied from the tip of a cocktail stick.

Thanks Terry, since I do have them attached only with white glue, I may just remove them and add them later as you suggest. PVA, or white glue, disolves in water so removing them shouldn't be a problem. I was very carefull to file or sand the windows until they fit tightly all around, no gaps :) Any other helpful hints would be great later on as well.

Thanks... Well I was finally able to do a little more with this plane but I'm finding the fits are terrible. There are exceptionally large gaps all over the place so it's getting interesting finding ways to fill the gaps and keep the correct shape and alignment. I'm sure most will see the gaps. Please excuse... under construction. :) On a lighter note, I did make a landing light for the left wing. Till next time... :)

Attachments

• IMG_1638.jpg
    IMG_1638.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1626.jpg
    IMG_1626.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1627.jpg
    IMG_1627.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1628.jpg
    IMG_1628.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1630.jpg
    IMG_1630.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1631.jpg
    IMG_1631.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1632.jpg
    IMG_1632.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1633.jpg
    IMG_1633.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1634.jpg
    IMG_1634.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1635.jpg
    IMG_1635.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1636.jpg
    IMG_1636.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1637.jpg
    IMG_1637.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 112
Good stuff, and I see you have a couple of little helpers!
Oh, and Happy Birthday - I forgot to post in the correct thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back