Russian Pe-3 Bis, Russia's first use of radar for a night fighter (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice build.

However makes me wonder how Russia got the radar technology?

This model has been a real challange. The parts seem to be adverse to a proper fit. Lots of gaps and few of them are small. Fortunately there are my little helpers making the needed, dare I say it, stop gap measures. :) Haven't given up, just very busy. Hope to have more done soon as time permits.

Attachments

• plane 003.JPG
    plane 003.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 124
  • plane 001.JPG
    plane 001.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 94
  • picture 006.JPG
    picture 006.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 126
  • picture 001.JPG
    picture 001.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 131
  • picture 002.JPG
    picture 002.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 136
  • picture 003.JPG
    picture 003.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 136
  • picture 005.JPG
    picture 005.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 125
Ok finally found some time and possibly a solution to getting more of the model moving. My biggest problem has been time. I'm foreman to a shop so I arrive early and by the time I get home, not much time left but to do the honey do list. :(

I'm slow but I finally figured out that I could just take a few parts to work on during my breaks and bring them home ready to attach. It's still slow but its a sight better than waiting to find a day or so to build. :)

Now on to the latest. I have researched a bit more on this plane and found that a couple other windows I've been very careful with don't exist on the Pe-3 bis. Guess what will be attached next. :) I appears that the two large side windows were phased out on this aircraft but they did retain the two smaller side windows.

In the front office area, the kit gives you two vacuform sets of windows here and for under the nose. It has taken a lot of filing and sanding but I finally got the office widows to the right shape without tearing it up. Cutting it, I found, is a no no. It is way to easy to split the plastic. For under the nose, the kit gives you several choices. I did mention earlier that this kit is made to be either a Pe-3 or Pe-2. Anyhow, after much examining of the known photos of Pe-3's, I have found that none of the provided options are correct. Fortunately the parts provided, some of them vacuform and some of them cast, are enough to alter into the correct configuration. The photos below show the office and the two closests options for the under nose window. One is the vacuform, not correct. The other is the molded window with some modifications to more accurately resemble what I'm seeing in the photographs. Enjoy.

I'm currently working on the landing gear and finishing up on the massive gaps provided in this kit. :)

Attachments

• Picture 719.jpg
    Picture 719.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Picture 717.jpg
    Picture 717.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 100
  • Picture 718.jpg
    Picture 718.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 70
Here are a couple more additions. Started working on the landing gear. I saw how the kits gear looked pretty weak so I thought I would try something I read in one of those FSM magazines and remake the struts with metal instead of just weak plastic. So far so good. Drilled out one of the struts and will use a paper clip for the lower part. Here is a shot of the fit. :)

Attachments

• Picture 710.jpg
    Picture 710.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Picture 709.jpg
    Picture 709.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 99
Ok, I did this a week ago but have been unable to post until now. I finished drilling out and upgrading the landing gear struts. Added the rudders and did more work on the seems; I also did some work on the radar signal projector. Since there are no photos of what it really looked like I have to ad lib. Improvements are still in the works. Painting is not that far away now. On a side note, it appears I have broken a finger. Not too bad, I can still use it but it is a little tender. :)

Attachments

• Picture 529.jpg
    Picture 529.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Picture 526.jpg
    Picture 526.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 136
  • Picture 527.jpg
    Picture 527.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 132
  • Picture 528.jpg
    Picture 528.jpg