Sanding /polishing ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jamierd

Senior Airman
Jul 16, 2009
Glenrothes Scotland
Ok had to do some sanding to the body of my Bf110 today sanding has worked out fine just need to know what i can use to polish out the roughnes left by doing it

Depending on what grade sandpaper you started with, this can be used for fine to ultra fine to buffing for a finished surface:

squr3505.jpg

A piece of a news paper or a piece of felt.In addition you can use the Tamiy polishing compound Compound Coarse, Fine, Finish.If you can't buy the polishing compounds you can use a similar which is used for car body polishing but not a wax or with a wax.

Attachments

• Tamiya polishing compound.jpg
    Tamiya polishing compound.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
If you can't get any of the above Jamie, give the area a very light rub-over with the finest, most worn wet and dry you have, used wet, with a little hand soap. Just as if you were preparing for the final coat when painting a full-sized car. Dry it thoroughly, then polish with the car colour restorer I think Wojtek means, in this country 'T-Cut' or Halford's own brand. If you can't get that, 'Brasso' metal polsih or 'Duraglit' wadding metal polish will work, and for fine scratches etc, even toohpaste!

I use 400 through 1200 grade sandpaper to get the job done....sometimes I will rub a couple of strips of 1200 grade together to create a really fine piece if I want to go super fine...occasionally toothpaste as Terry suggested!:D

There's also Novus plastic polish, available on micromark. It comes in 3 grades, and although it's usually used to polish clear parts, I don't see why it wouldn't work in other situations as well.

Like Wayen, I have varying grits of paper, bought for a ridiculous price at my LHS.

Now I just have to like using them.

Some nail boards have four grades of abrasion, one of them is used to polish nails and although not often in the right shape they can be used to poish out flat areas and edges

I use 400 through 1200 grade sandpaper to get the job done....sometimes I will rub a couple of strips of 1200 grade together to create a really fine piece if I want to go super fine...occasionally toothpaste as Terry suggested!:D
Hi guys, consider that if you need you can add fine pumice powder to the toothpaste in order to obtain a self-made compound.
Acting on the pumice percentual you can have different degree of finish.

For a final seal to my sanding I use Microgloss abrasive.. "Micro-Gloss a general all purpose water-based liquid abrasive which uses a one micron aluminum oxide abrasive crystal to achieve a fine finish on acrylics, plastics, polycarbonate, fiberglass, wood, silver, gold, copper, brass, paint urethanes, lacquers, and polyesters to name a few. This unique liquid removed hairline scratches, haziness, and halos untouched by other products."

I guess its meant for real stuff but it does a great job on the models and is a fairly quick process.

could any of those also be used to polish enamel chrome? like say a Testors chrome spray can?

They would possibly flatten the shine Rob. You'd be best using a jewellers polishing powder, or SNJ Silver powder. See my Bare Metal guide. Or if you want a really shiny finish, use Bare Metal Foil, in its various shades.

They would possibly flatten the shine Rob. You'd be best using a jewellers polishing powder, or SNJ Silver powder. See my Bare Metal guide. Or if you want a really shiny finish, use Bare Metal Foil, in its various shades.

where is your bare metal guide, terry?

it's on Page 5 of the 'Painting Questions' section, under 'Bare Metal Made Easy'. Sorry, I doin't know how to do a link!
Maybe a mod could 'Sticky' it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back