SBD-3 Dauntless

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

deckape

Staff Sergeant
Jul 26, 2011
Moraine Ohio U.S.A.
Ahoy
Here is a build I am finishing up on I havent been here for a while and old boats is back from AWOL from his favorite forum and friends. This is a balsa kit by Guillows looked like a fun build the kit remindfs me so much of the old 1961 issue monogram kit. with all of the opperating features this thing does everything but fly.I( should have this one done by this sunday. I have other builds coming up here so stay tuned its great to be back here again home sweet home.

Boats:D:D:D:D:D:D

Attachments

• PICT0011.JPG
    PICT0011.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 168
  • PICT0012.JPG
    PICT0012.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 156
Looks GREAT Boats!! (How much she set you back? Might try and grab one myself...)

Thanks too - looked at your Messie in the background and am stealing your 'spraybooth' idea! :)

Looks GREAT Boats!! (How much she set you back? Might try and grab one myself...)

Thanks too - looked at your Messie in the background and am stealing your 'spraybooth' idea! :)

LOLLLLLLLLLLllllllllllll I got this kit about 25 years ago, cost back then was very reasonable, $25.00 Nowdays Ouchhhhhhhhhhhhh $ 70.00 on up you can pick them up on ebay pretty cheap. The ME 109 is a card model made from paper it will be my next build when i get the old SBD Done. Any I deas from me you are welcomed I am not bashfull I,ll have the finishing up pictures tomorrow sometime. Thanks my man I am honored.

Boats

Nice looking kit that Boats, what's the dimensions as it looks quite big.
Ahoy Vic
Thank you sir for your reply she indeed is big, wingspan 30" 3/4 scale. this kit must have been based on the old Monogram kit it does everything but fly. For a display stick model it builds very well. One thing I love about this forum wood plastic and paper are welcomed and its all about modeling and fellowship. Its good to be back home here again. Thanks vic for your reply I am honored.

Boats

Cheers for the info (and permission!) mate! :)

Hmmm, 70 bucks sounds alot, but then again she is BIG and a damned sight more accurate looking than the balsa kits I used to make...
Love that 109 too, looking forward to progress there aswell.

Great stuff Boats, looking good. It's the sort of model which could make a fantastic, detailed display piece, using card or balsa sheet for covering, instead of tissue, and adding extra detail.

Good to see you back Boats. That Dauntless looks great. :thumbright:

Ahoy T Bolt
thank you for your woinderfull welcome to my home sweet home. Its good to be back I have never forgotton everyone here. I been a busy swabbie working on other projects I had to finish up on.

BoaTS

Great stuff Boats, looking good. It's the sort of model which could make a fantastic, detailed display piece, using card or balsa sheet for covering, instead of tissue, and adding extra detail.

Ahoy Terry
thanks sir for your reply I agree very much I had second thought about the covering of the planes structure I am for one not to fond of tissue on a scale model like this. tissue looks good on WW1 aircraft in general. I had no extra sheet balsa to use to cover in the frame work so i went ahead and tissued it up I doubled layered the tissue for extra strength. I have a Guillows PBy Catalina flyingboat I will start a build thread on here and i will cover the frame work with sheet balsa or useing cardstock. Thanks Terry its great to hear from you again and that you are well and healthy.

Boats

:DAhoy
Got the two outer wing panels covered tomorrow i will have her finished once The wings have g]dried to touch I will prime the intire plane with light gray primer. also add the rest of the parts and finish up the paint schedule which will be blue gray over light gray. I will throw in a close up picture of my Me-109 everyone lie to see old boats finish up on.

Boats:D:D:D:D

Attachments

• PICT0013.JPG
    PICT0013.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 112
  • PICT0014.JPG
    PICT0014.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 153
  • PICT0015.JPG
    PICT0015.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 148
  • PICT0016.JPG
    PICT0016.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 149
  • PICT0017.JPG
    PICT0017.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 128
I've just bought 2 balsa large scale [1/24] kits myself that i plan to build in full detail ,any tips you might have Boats would be greatly received

Users who are viewing this thread

Back