SBD Dauntless In Color

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SBD001.jpg
SBD002.jpg
SBD003.jpg
SBD004.jpg
SBD005.jpg
SBD006.jpg
SBD007.jpg
SBD008.jpg
SBD009.jpg

Isn't that last shot cool??!! Open canopy, seat high up so you don't get a feeling of being totally enclosed. Kinda like riding a motorcycle in the clouds!

Magnificent images, guys. This thread inspired me to search for colour images (I couldn't find any in color :) ) of RNZAF Dauntlesses on the net, but all I came across, apart from colour profiles and models was this one, which even then is a rather amateurish attempt at photoshopping (damned thieving Kiwis) and incidentally I found it on this site!

RNZAFDauntless1_zps789f5b5f.jpg

Look familiar? The real picture, seen earlier in this thread.

Dauntlessflight11_zps591a555c.jpg

As a degree of thievery was carried out to modify the lower image to produce an RNZAF Dauntless, this is essentially how the Kiwi ones were painted on arrival in New Zealand. Most arrived in New Zealand in American markings, some of them in a somewhat weary state and the Kiwi markings were simply painted over the American ones exactly like the picture above. I've seen images of RNZAF Dauntlesses at the aircraft dump at Rukuhia, near Hamilton in the 1960s with their US markings plainly visible from sitting outdoors since the end of the war.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back