Scratchbuilt bf-109 -- in progress

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

texasjohn

Airman
May 10, 2007
What on earth have I dived off into?? I will probably need assistance from you fine modellers as this adventure progresses. Right now it is going slow..:)

Attachments

• workbench.bmp
    729.1 KB · Views: 626
  • bf109Frames.bmp
    842.5 KB · Views: 614
I think its awesome attepting the scratchbuilt world,
i havent the skills to really think about anything like that at the moment, looking good keep us posted :D

ANXBe.png

Last edited:
Thanks for your support guys. I'm going to need it!

Anyone know where I can find a plastic 3-blade prop/spinner combo? The base of the spinner is 1 inch diameter. No prop was supplied. Also any ideas on scratchbuilding a cockpit? or can I actually buy a prefab cockpit. The "kit" is from Guillow.

Thanks for your support guys. I'm going to need it!

Anyone know where I can find a plastic 3-blade prop/spinner combo? The base of the spinner is 1 inch diameter. No prop was supplied. Also any ideas on scratchbuilding a cockpit? or can I actually buy a prefab cockpit. The "kit" is from Guillow.

I think you don't have to make the cockpit very detailed.Drawings you can find in Internet.In my opinion the pilot panel with instruments, the pilot seat with belts and the floor with a stick and pedals of course.If you want you can add some things on both a port side and starboard one.It depends on you only and how detailed cockpit can be.The weght of these you also have to take into consideration.The cockpit conopy you can make of transparent plastic, the bottle used for mineral water is a good material.If you are interested in how to make it I have somewhere an article on it.

As far as 3-blade prop is concerned, the pic - source :

Graupner Model Airplane Propellers - 2 and 3 Blade Props!

Attachments

• gp308060.jpg
    gp308060.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 502
Thank you very much. I have been looking for this forever. Everyone seems to have 2 blade props. On a bf-109 it would be blasphemous!! heh!

A two balde prop would do a -B, -C or early (Jumo powered) -D. But a three blade one looks better any way! Cockpit internals could be made out of thick paper to keep weight down, if this is going to be a flying model, if not the weight won't matter. It will be the external details which will make the difference, eg the shape of the spinner, wing guns (or not). The cockpit canopy is faily easy to make as it is very angular, no curves to worry about except on the top of the very rearmost part. As you seem very adept I don't think it would be any trouble to you.

Yes,Outremerknight is right there shouldn't be any troubles with these details.It is even possible to make a spinner by yourself.TexasJohn could you upload there a pic of the cockpit area of your model? In the pic posted above it is impossible to estimate what you have to make to improve it.

Sirs Wurger and outremerknight,

I do have a canopy in plastic-they supplied. It's all about cutting out and painting the same. This is probably going to end up as a static model I think as it moves along. I wil get the cockpit frame pictures out there as soon as I can so you will have a better idea of it.

I have to keep reminding myself- this is not pine! IT IS BALSA!

It is so fragile!!!

Slow is good. I've been 'building' a similar kit of a P51 for - wait for it- 8 years! Yes, I know that is extreme. I keep having to put it away safe and then forgetting about it. I've just found it again after it being lost for 2 years. Must really get on with it. Good thing the USAAF aren't relying on me.
Anyway, back to you your 109. Having the plastic canopy is good, saves work. If you are doing it as a static model then you can do the undercart properly rather than just what the flying model needs. I would cover the wings with either heavy weight card or even very thin balsa sheet. I think it would give a more realistic covering than doped tissue or film.

For covering of the wings and even the fuselage you could use sheets of thin birch veneer also.Then you could paste over all model with the thin aluminium foil which should be cut to the panel shapes.

They did supply me with some paper.

Foil? wow! never thought of that!! It would add a touch of realism to it all. How about airbrushing foil? primer first? or is it even neccesary to prime?

I will also be learning my new airbrush. I can't find my old one from 15 years ago. Whoops, I am telling on my age!!!:)

In the meantime tonight, I am adding more formers. I keep telling myself looking at the drawings, "think 3D"...

I should get a pic of the cockpit soon so you can see the perspective.

Foil? wow! never thought of that!! It would add a touch of realism to it all. How about airbrushing foil? primer first? or is it even neccesary to prime?

If you want to have a Bf 109 with the aluminium covering you don't have to paint this :lol: but if you need to do it certainly you can.The primer is recommended especially for the acrylic paintings.

I should get a pic of the cockpit soon so you can see the perspective.

O.K

Dear friends,

So here is how far I got, what with work and "honey do" chores around the house...slow ( excuses, excuses)

I am trying to build a cockpit for this thing. Any ideas? The base is 3 X 4.3cm and the height along the back is 3.3cm.

yikes, this is a intense project!:)

Attachments

• bf104sideview.jpg
    bf104sideview.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 271
  • bf109sideview2.jpg
    bf109sideview2.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 282
  • bf109TopView.jpg
    bf109TopView.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 260
Dear Wurger,

I have a question. The wing span on this model is 41.91cm. Does it mean this a 1/32 scale model or more a 1/24 model??

Regards,

John:confused:

Dear Wurger,

I have a question. The wing span on this model is 41.91cm. Does it mean this a 1/32 scale model or more a 1/24 model??

Regards,

John:confused:

Hallo John, :)

The E serie of Bf-109 had a wingspan 9.9m. So taking this into considerartion a model in 1:32 scale should have wingspan = 30.9375 cm
a model in 1:24 scale should have wingspan = 41,25 cm
So looking at your model wingspan I would say that it is the 1:24 scale.To be much more accurate I must state that the scale of your model is 1:23.6, then the wingspan of a model should be 41.94915 cm what is much more close to your number.

Now I have some questions.
1. What material did you use for building the fuselage structure ( balsa,others...?
2.How deep do you want to make corrections with the cockpit area?
3.Could you resemble me what kind of a model you decided to make ( static or flying)?
4.Could you upload some pics of the cockpit conopy ( if you have this conopy of course)?
5.How more detailed cockpit do you want?

best regards,
Wojtek :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back