Show Us Your Artwork!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I treated myself to Roy Grinnell's coffee-table book of his artwork, most of which is aviation. It's a beauty. He also did a remarque for me of Saburo Saki's A5M Claude, in addition to personalizing the book and throwing in some art cards and a signed print of the colour version of Sakai entitled "Score One for Sakai", from which he based his remarque drawing. Here's also a couple of images from his book. Enjoy!

Attachments

• grinnell_remarque.jpg
    grinnell_remarque.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 149
  • grinnell_remarque_cc.jpg
    grinnell_remarque_cc.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 149
  • Scan-131018-0003.jpg
    Scan-131018-0003.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 153
  • Scan-131018-0001.jpg
    Scan-131018-0001.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 157
  • Scan-131018-0002.jpg
    Scan-131018-0002.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 167
I collect a lot of aviation art books and used to copy sketches into a book I made in a book binding class. Here's a couple of'em.

Attachments

• sketch 2.jpg
    sketch 2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 171
  • sketch 1.jpg
    sketch 1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 182
I've got a comprehensive linear worked out for my "Miss Detroit" piece. I addressed the problem of the foreground barrel by removing it and creating a much more interesting scene involving ground crew. I sourced some reference images from various sources, including taking a picture of my son posing for the back shot of the mechanic working on the engine.

Attachments

• groundscene_p47_pencil.jpg
    groundscene_p47_pencil.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 162
Thanks all! Good point Crimea River, thanks for the reference shots, I'll have to scale him down until his head is about wing level, lol.

Thanks for your comments men! I wanted to ask, is it vital to have "Marsden Matting" in this scene? If so, it would be a real pain in the rear, especially with pastel. What are your thoughts on that? I'm not sure that it was even placed on airfields constantly unless it was damp and muddy, perhaps it was utilized on as "as needed" basis?

Cheers!

Depends on the airfield, and when. For example, those airfields in the UK which were 'for the duration', normally had matting at dispersals, and as a runway, whereas those airfields which were already in existence, but required additional hard dispersals, would normally utilise PSP for these. There were, of course, variations, with a mix of both materials, or none at all.
On the Continent, when the first air strips were made, Marsden Matting, or Sommerfield Track, would be laid as a general rule, although if the surface was suitable, this might only be used for the runway, if at all. These materials were used initially as they were quicker and easier to transport and lay, compared to PSP, for airfields which might only be used for a number of days, or a few weeks. Later, as more 'semi-permanent' bases were established, and especially as wetter weather approached, PSP was used.
If you know which airfield is being depicted, I might be able to let you know what, if anything, was used - and having to paint Marsden or Sommerfield will be a lot easier than depicting PSP !

Hi Airframes, thanks for your input. The setting of this scene will be North Field, Iwo Jima.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back