Show us your library....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Regarding the organization of one's library… I used to have my books organized alphabetically. As I got more books, that system became impractical.

I then organized them by subject. This worked well, but it all depends on what type of books you have. I had sections for US aircraft, Soviet aircraft, biographies, general references, early aviation, engines, automotive, etc. As I got more books, that system became impractical.

I know organize my books by wherever they fit. Space is at such a premium that books of the same size are next to each other, even if they are completely unrelated. Looking a little to my left we have:

Concept Aircraft
Building the P-51 Mustang
Martin P6M SeaMaster
Wings of Italy
The Boeing XF8B-1 Fighter
Aircraft of Air Racing's Golden Age
Messerschmitt Me 209 V1

Other than being about 8.5 inches tall and 11 inches long, those books have nothing in common except that I own them and need to fit them in my house. The problem with this "system" is that I forget where some books are. Looking for "Ultimate Spitfires?" Well, it used to be in the British aircraft section but was kicked out because of its size. Now it is somewhere in the "smaller books" section, or maybe it is in the "bedroom floor" section. Wait, no. The "bedroom floor" section is also the "new arrivals" section, so it would not be there. The "bedroom floor / new arrivals" section exists because there is no more room anywhere else. To make matters worse, I really have shoved books into any space available. This means some are not even visible until one peels back a few layers of other books. I also have the "I'll move the books here for now because the wife is mad" section, and the "I can't let the wife know that I keep buying more books so I will hide them over here and hope she does not notice" section.

I'm thinking of stacking new books in the form of a car and calling it "the books I bought for myself rather than buying my wife a new car" section. However, one must be careful that one's wife does not start a "my husband is an idiot" section, which would be outside and occasionally on fire.

As I get more books, this system has become impractical. I need a bigger house.

IMG_2634.JPG
IMG_2635.JPG
IMG_2636.JPG
IMG_2637.JPG
IMG_2638.JPG
IMG_2639.JPG
IMG_2640.JPG
IMG_2641.JPG
IMG_2642.JPG
IMG_2643.JPG
IMG_2644.JPG
IMG_2645.JPG
IMG_2646.JPG
IMG_2647.JPG
IMG_2648.JPG
IMG_2649.JPG
Here is my aviation book collection.. Apologies for the darkness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just counted....I've got 200 books, on the nose, which would fit in this forum's library, this is not counting what I've got at my parents, which is probably another 100 or so....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back