Slipping though the cracks..

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Clave

Senior Master Sergeant
Jun 15, 2005
Deep in suburban Surrey
This is not a *quite* a crisis but it will be very shortly.

I have been self-employed for over a year and had getting good contracts from my former employer, but that has stopped - only 2 jobs since April, and a a few tiny jobs for others. So basically my savings have been drifting down, and from a high of 16,000, they have hit under 2,000 and will be gone by December.

Now the 'falling through the cracks' part:

I have diabetes, which is not critical in itself, but the side-effects are causing a problem - nerve damage to hands and feet mean that my work potential is limited. To give you an example: I can open the plastic lid on an aspirin bottle but only if I wear a glove or pad my fingers in some way, otherwise it is too painful to put that much pressure on. I can walk about, but not long distances, type, but not a huge amount (it is hurting now btw)

So, I applied for Employment Support Allowance, and as part of that went to see a doctor about getting a certificate, but no dice.

The next try was Jobseekers Allowance - so after a few calls I got through and they said "Are you available for full-time work?" I said "Not really, I can do some things, but not everything" and so they didn't want to know.

So, basically I don't fit into a category of 'someone who can be helped' and this is hanging over my head, and it's pretty much all I can think about...

I am happy to work, and even happier to work at home, god knows I have never taken a penny off the government in my working life (1974 on) but now? Well I need something or Christmas and the new year are going to suck, badly...

(Sorry to whinge on, but I kind of wanted explain why I'm not around half the time)

Clave, sorry to hear about your health issues. I've been a type one diabetic for 35 years as of Nov. 18th of this year and I'm doing fairly well. Back in 2000 I notice that my feet were becoming numb. I went to the doctor and he told me that I needed to get more exercise but that I would never get the feeling back ,so I did. I started walking. At first it was hard to keep making myself go out and do it but a friend of mine started going with me, after a month we were walking 3 1/2 miles in an hour and after 3 months I had all of the feeling back in my feet. We did this for almost a year every day and I have never felt better than I did then. I know you are in pain but if you can get out and walk for as long as possible, don't kill yourself, but as you can push a little further. Walking is the best medicine in the world and we would really hate to loose you here. Like I said I know the pain will make it very tough but I believe it will subside the the further you go with it. My prayers are with you sir. :salute:

Dam Clave. You are an extremely talented individual and I hope things pick up for you soon, and more importantly get to feeling better!

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time, Clave.

I've been down the joyful road of bureaucracy before, and it's enough to make one question thier own sanity...

Best of luck to ya' and hopefully things will look up soon!

I have been a type II for 3 years this month. It is a family thing. If you would like to vent, send me an email anytime. I can also direct you to a fun and imformative web site. Aaron is correct, exercise makes a big differance.

DBII

I know exactly what your going through Clave.I had a brain tumour a year ago, 6 months ago DWP decided i was fit for work even though i could barely walk and was still suffering dizzy spells so for the last 6 monthes i have been waiting for an appeal date. finally got 1 next week .You have to keep digging at these people clave dont give up .My local mp was a great help to me even though she couldnt get them to see sense at least i got some thing in the meantime (£64 a week for a family of 4 is tough i tell you )just keep at them and your doctor too he should be helping you not putting up obstacles.Your local citizens advice centre will be able to help you as well and try and find a diabetic support group locally they will have a lot of experience dealing with these DWP types

All the best Clave and Jamie! I hope things work out bettter very soon. My father is in a similar position since his motorcycle accident, lots of questions but not many answers.

Thank you all, yoo are good people! 8)

I'm definitely going to try some walking even though it pains me, and I might just sign on and say that I am fit for work anyway - of course the down side is that they might actually find me a job, and then I would be screwed... :|

Mentally, I am in good shape (better than the doctor thinks) and I'm side-tracked from planes for a while and trying my hand at VW microbuses for a while (thread coming soon)

But as always, it's money that bugs me, and that probably applies to everyone....

I use this line with bureaucrats with great effect sometimes they forget that I pay their wages
"Excuse me but I would like to speak to someone more important then yourself"
Trust me its a great leveller and it works

Users who are viewing this thread

Back