Some of my work

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for all the complimentary comments chaps, just wish my hands worked the way they used too!
Researching for the interior colours for the Marauder has proved interesting; so far there are four different descriptions, plus various combinations of all four, and each photo' I've seen is different! Ah well, you won't be able to see much of the interior in the photos for the diorama guide!

That's a pity.:(

BTW Have you seen Douglas B-26 Invader 1/48 scale kit of any modelmaker.It seems that the only model of the aircraft here in Europe , is Italeri 1/72 scale kit.

I saw an advert for one somewhere not long ago Wojtek, but I can't remember by whom, or where I saw it! It might have been a resin or vac-form kit. But I think someone like Linbergh or Hawk did one years ago, I'll check-out places like KingKit and see what I can find.

Didn't see anyone on Hannant's, but there's one A-26B on ebay. Wasn't the Invader the A-26B before it replaced the B-26 Marauder, or did it become the B-26 Invader in Korea first?

The Douglas A26 Invader ('A' for Attack.) replaced the Martin B26 Marauder in most of the 9th U.S.A.A.F. Bomb Groups near the end of WW2. The first production Invaders had a 'solid' nose with gun armament, and, according to some former Marauder men, was a bit of a bitch to fly in formation, due to restricted visibility over/across and around the engine nacelles. At the war's end, the vast majority of Marauders were withdrawn from service, many of them being scrapped where they stood on German airfields, which is the main reason that there are very few left today. Around the time of the formation of the U.S.A.F. and the Korean war, the Invader's classification was changed to 'Bomber', hence the very confusing situation of American forces having employed two distinctly different aircraft with the same I.D., namely, B26.
It was a B26 MARAUDER, that held the unique record of completing the most operations of any allied aircraft during World War Two. 'Flak Bait' flew on 202 combat missions, and had more than 1,000 flak holes in her when evenually retired. The forward fuselage section of this aircraft is preserved in the Smithsonian museum. Marauders had the lowest percentage loss rate of any U.S. aircraft in WW2.
The A/B26 Invader was used by U.S. Air Forces in WW2, Korea and Vietnam, and served with other nations in various conflicts.
Here endeth the B26 history lesson!

I've seen the Flak Bait forward fuselage at the Smithsonian. While I don't dispute the Flak Bait record, the displayed forward fuselage did not exhibit numerous flak holes. It was about 5 years ago or so. It was displayed at the same time that they had the Enola Gay displayed at the Mall Flight Museum on Independence Ave SW.

Yes Matt, I've recently studied some close-up pics of 'Flak Bait' in the museum, and I couldn't see any (presumably repaired) flak holes either. I guess they were elsewhere on the aircraft, and not ALL big holes. Incidentally, some accounts say 'Flak Bait' had over 1,000 holes, others say over 2,000 holes. Whatever, it must have been a lucky ship. My daughter is going to the 'States in about 3 weeks time, and i've asked (ordered) her to get some pics at the Smithsonian; after all, I bought her the new Nikon digital camera, only fair I think!

It was a B26 MARAUDER, that held the unique record of completing the most operations of any allied aircraft during World War Two. 'Flak Bait' flew on 202 combat missions, and had more than 1,000 flak holes in her when evenually retired.
I beg to differ Terry, A Mosquito F for Freddie, serial LR503, from No 109 (HS*F) and later No 105 Squadron (GB*F) flew 213 missions...8)

F for Freddie Tragedy - Nose Art

On the afternoon of May 9th 1945, 'Freddie', crewed by Flight Lieutenant J. Maurice W. Briggs, D.S.O., D.F.C., D.F.M., Flying Officer John C. Baker, D.F.C. and Bar, and De Havilland engineer Edward Jack, arrived at Calgary airport and proceeded to treat the crowds to a demonstration of a Mosquito doing what it did best, 'beating up' the airfield and surrounding areas at high speed and low level (often at less than rooftop height).

The next day, after an official luncheon, at just after 16:00 hrs, Briggs and Baker prepared to take off to fly to Red Deer and Lethbridge, returning to Calgary for the evening. Edward Jack stayed behind as he was not feeling well. After take off, Briggs circled to the North and made two passes over the small crowd which had gathered around the terminal building to see them off. It was on their third diving pass that tragedy struck.

Freddie struck the top of the tower and a metal pole used for releasing weather balloons, shearing off the port wing, just outboard of the engine, and part of the tail. Out of control, at nearly 400 mph, 'Freddie' crashed in a field just south of the terminal. The crew were thrown from the airplane and died instantly. The petrol soaked Mosquito burned to ashes.

Flight Lieutenant Briggs and Flying Officer Baker were buried in the Field of Honour, at Burnsland Cemetery, Calgary, the following day.

:salute:

You know, I THOUGHT it wasn't right about 'Flak Bait', but couldn't remember which aircraft did hold the record! I'm assuming that the information about the B26, which came from the Smithsonian, must relate to U.S.A.A.F. aircraft; I didn't consider that in my post! I shall smack my own wrist!

Don't be so harsh on yourself mate....it's punishment enough if you drink a pint of Budweiser....!
'Freddie' is a good enough reason to buy another 1/48 Mosquito me thinks....8) :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back