1:1 Spitfire K9817 Cockpit Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I made decals for the panel of my P-47 cockpit and was happy with the result. You can see them in the first few posts of my 1:1 build thread. I used 8-1/2 x 11 white decal sheets and used Excel to make it up using white printing on a black background and printed them with a inkjet printer printing the black background letting the white of the decal film for the lettering.
This probably sounds confusing but I show a picture of the finished decal sheet in the 1:1 thread that will make it more clear. The only problem I had was in using Future for sealing the decals which did not protect the ink as well as it should have and some of the ink came off the decals. This can be avoided by using a solvent based clear coat on them

Order Number Order Date Order Total

Cheers mate! But unfortunately Glenn, if I use a black background, I need to match it with the anodised black of the instrument panel..which will itself change colour over time. :(

So the transfer decals really have to be clear OR stencils. Unless I could match the background colour exactly and paint it to LOOK anodised..not sure how the actual anodising will take paint over it though?

I also thought about "Leteraset" type rubbing decals but haven't seen those since the early 1920's .. :) :)

A nice morning's work....

The Kygas Primer had the later label on it and the knurling was very worn (almost smooth). So half an hour with the lathe and then a couple of coats of brass clear protectant...

: Old

IMG_1979_zpsutvz44jf.jpg

Refurbished

IMG_2043_zpsel2r4bbw.jpg

IMG_2042_zps0ligssca.jpg

IMG_2041_zpsjljnklal.jpg

Very pleased with the way it has come up.

And in P9374:

CHRIS_zpsuedl5xjx.jpg

And the first Former being lined up to pattern (If I have told my assistant once, I've told him a MILLION times..NO Japanese Workboots in the workshop...I will have stern words :) :) :) .. because - I - am all about the safety!!)

IMG_2044_zps2dp4gchq.jpg

The more keen eyed may spot that the Rivet Count is slightly out for a Spitfire I, as is the top of the Frame where it runs up the sides of the main Panel (I would not be co rude as to use the "R...C....s" epithet :) :) :) ). Both will be corrected in the wooden Former but the GA I have was better quality for the Mk IX than the "One" and thus easier/clearer to blow up to 1:1 Scale.

And finally, some of the collection of Swages/Flange Dies made for the Spitfire.

IMG_2049_zps0h59mvah.jpg

Exciting progress. I thought that the Mk1 Instrument panel did have engraved writing? Does P9374 not have that? Could be wrong of course...It has been known! :)

Thanks Hugh!!

And thanks RAP.

The later panels were engraved but the early type (two fuel gauges etc etc.) were screen printed according to Andy Saunders and both P9374 and N3200 panels used screen printing.

A frustrating day today. I set out to make the two main spars (top longerons) but bending that long of a piece of 1.5mm aluminium that many times in a tight patter proved beyond my skills. On a positive note, the reject pieces have been cut down and retasked as the bottom longerons..so only loss of "face", no material.

Tomorrow back to work and this weekend look hopeless..so it will probably be the 2nd weekend in February before I get back into the workshop :(

Well, some major progress but surprisingly little to "show" for it.

The main upper longerons have been bugging me for quite some time. (since before Christmas, in fact). But the long lead time and many, many rethinks have finally borne fruit, I think.

I finally gave up on bending 2 metres of 1.5 mm aluminium in to a complex U shape with flanges. This has meant that I have had to settle for a slightly off scale fit. The final dimensions are 41.6mm x 30mm x 41.6mm and 18mm flanges, instead of the 38.1 x 38.1 x 38.1 with 20.32mm flanges called out on the GA at Frame 8. A frustrating, to be honest, but necessary compromise.

This was achieved by paring down 50mm x50mm x 1.5mm ali tubing and fixing 20mm x 20mm angle aluminium onto it. The rivetting was all able to be placed so that it will not be visible on the finished product..(hidden by Frames, accessories etc).. and the joins on the upper face will be sealed with car "bog". so the pieces will look like a single, folded structure. I'm just hoping that the rectangular profile in the cockpit is not too noticeable against the apparent square profile of the original longeron.

The difference in width was easily accommodated in Supermarine's "fudge factor" in the GAs and line widths etc. The flanges are a tiny bit thicker than called out for but easily fit and will add extra strength. I'm not getting any younger and want to be able to place full weight on the structure to lower myself in!

The lower longerons are also not correct and are, in fact, quite a bit different. But they are not really visible in the cockpit and I can always make inserts to go over the top where they are seen. The more compact design will add strength to the base of the frames too, reducing the "cut-out size and increasing the area of the Frame faces at the joins.…again, desirable as there is no engine area adding strength up front, no wings on the side and no tapered tail section adding it at the rear. It will also allow wheels to be attached to them to make the cockpit mobile.

And while on the subject of compromise… I have to admit that I have decided to base ALL of the Frame widths on Frame 8. So there will not be the approximately ¾" taper between Frames 8 and 11 that is on the real aircraft. This simplifies construction, skinning AND importantly, the rear slide of the Canopy! So sue me J

I don't think it will be perceptible to the eye…at least I hope not!

Sorry about the low quality pictures..will get some improved ones as we go along.

The four longerons. Thickest lower, thinnest upper.

16991011_10154378329099607_2102769040_o_zpsk9ryw9of.jpg

The profile of the main upper. The flanges on the bottom need to be slightly bent out to fit on the frames. A job for later. I wish I had noticed before I joined them. It would have been easier to bend them to less than 90deg before attachment

17035289_10154378329284607_1776223198_n_zpsli9wqhpv.jpg

And lastly, the final pattern for the sheet ali of Frame 8, including the overhang for the flanges and the Former for bending the sheet. I am learning ALL about preparation!! A raw pattern in wood off the blown up and printed GA, another with flange allowance, marked out from the original pattern and flanges measured and drawn in and thirdly, a Former routed from heavier wood from the original light wood pattern ex flanges… A printed paper pattern, full size and three wooden patterns for each Frame! And I still need to cut undersized holes in the Former and route 45deg out to size for forming the lightening holes.

For reference, Frame 8 will be just about 34" wide (864mm) and just under 30" high.

16936072_10154378325944607_913437924_o_zpsdrtksh95.jpg

Happy days :)

Last edited:
Thank you Hugh, Terry and Luis!

It has been a truly awful time here lately, so being able to post some progress on the Spitfire and for you guys to, as always, give encouragement, means a lot more than you know.

Cheers as always guys!!!!!!

Hopefully this weekend will see the dreaded Frame 8 progress. I see from a site that makes them, that they will supply me a non-airworthy one for a mere $3500!! In fairness to them, I have worked out my material cost at $120 ... so they wouldn't be making much out of it!!

I think I will build my own :)

Yep, you'll save a few Dollars, and really enjoy the work .... cough !
Even allowing for the current market price of an airworthy Spitfire, that seems just a tad . er ... high, just for a non-airworthy frame, I mean, come on, even Billy the Kid wore a mask !

A long weekend's work has seen all of the bits done for Frame 8 except the top sheet (that will be made during this week ) and the inside liner, which will be formed once the frame is assembled (hopefully next weekend) so that I can make sure it fits!

I have decided that my original swages/dimple dies (depending on which school you went to) are slightly the wrong size...if I am going to go to all of this trouble, they may as well be right, not "almost right". So I have made up some rounded blocks which just need the 45deg edge put on them.
I've got the hole saws to make the inner diametre, then the dies will be made to flange the holes out to the correct 1 3/4", 2 1/4" and 3" diametres.

Paper pattern with the sheets for the aft of Frame 8.

IMG_2187_zpshwpy5mes.jpg

Forward Frame 8 sheets.

IMG_2186_zpsc8pnboo1.jpg

The whole lot, cut, shaped and cleaned up ready for assembly.

IMG_2185_zpsnvjldnql.jpg

I have also had a wonderful guy in the UK do up an impression of how K9817 could have looked during her time at PDU ... although I suspect she was never painted up as she was only there 3 weeks and was probably sent back to maintenance because she was "tired"...you never know and the lack of history..whilst still actually having been at PDU/PRU.. gives room for licence....particularly with the organisation in a state of flux around that time!

xfev0io_zpshyhjc4pt.jpg

YRurRZN_zpsysodwezh.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back