Spitfire Mk IX Tamiya - w.i.p.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi everybody,
now that the forum is "malware free", I can start the work-in-progress of the above model.
First I must say that latest Tamiya kit i did was aprox 20 years ago and was this one
F14d-vi.jpg

F14e-vi.jpg

impressive, may be, but done exactly "out of the box" without even knowing about weathering etc.
Then, a little later, I changed subjects and I moved on to figurines like these
Lanciererossob-vi.jpg

DSCN0284-vi.jpg

RamesseII-vi.jpg

Exactly two years ago I retired from business and i decided to started again building aircraft models.
I posted already a couple of my builds, so now let's go with the Spit.

First of all my latest projects concerned Italian subject, only available 1:32 scale from Pacific Coast Models.
I like very much PCM kits, but there is no comparison with Tamiya: the value is really worth the money.

For curiosity I decided to start from step 43, the very well detailed Merlin engine.
Here following are some pictures:
DSCN0759-vi.jpg

DSCN0760-vi.jpg

DSCN0764-vi.jpg

DSCN0761-vi.jpg

Two little comments on the above.
The only addition were some wires and pipes (may be not as much as in the real engine)
The lines across the exhaust stacks could be a minor mould defect, but I checked picture of the real thin and some of them shows that there were welding seems exactly in the same position ...so I need to recheck and decide if I have to clean them or not.

Then I went back to step One, the cockpit and here are the pictures
DSCN0766-vi.jpg

DSCN0767-vi.jpg

DSCN0769-vi.jpg

DSCN0771-vi.jpg

Here again my is represented by contribution pieces of copper wire of different diameter to simulate copper pipes etc. Black tinted lead wires represent pneumatic hoses on the control stick and the oxygen hose.
The instrument panel is "out of the box"
Some more will be added when port wall will be attached.
I will post more pictures soon.
Any comment and/or suggestion is more then welcome.
Cheers
Alberto
Nice engine and cockpit detail, did the basic kit include all that detail or did you fabricate some of it? looks good so far....I might switch up to 1/32 just to be able to build in more detail than my 1/48 scale kits will allow....Russ

Nice engine and cockpit detail, did the basic kit include all that detail or did you fabricate some of it? looks good so far....I might switch up to 1/32 just to be able to build in more detail than my 1/48 scale kits will allow....Russ

I Russ,
all the details came straight from the Tamiya box, what I added were the copper wires to simulate copper tubes, tiny electric cables to simulate rubber hoses and tin solder wire to simulate aluminium tubes.
But not all 1:32 kits are so rich in details. I just bought an Hasegawa kit for the Bf 109 G-14 that cost less then 1/2 the Tamiya Spitfire but details are much less and I had to purchase some after-market kits to be able to improve details on cockpit etc.
I will start soon this model and I will also start a new thread on it.
Of course, larger you get in scale, easier adding details.
Cheers
Alberto

Hi,
After the traditional two colour camouflage, I added the repainting of British roundels that was done with a similar Gray colour before applying Italian roundels.
Alberto

After I did the above a nice friend from an Italian forum sent me some picture of the machine shown at Vigna di Valle, that's the one I'm trying to replicate, and these photos shows quite clearly that the repainting isn't existing, so I had to rectify that!

4522864541_5998dfd295_o-vi.jpg

4522865173_190785b490_o-vi.jpg

DSCN0925-vi.jpg

DSCN0926-vi.jpg

DSCN0927-vi.jpg

Two layers of Future are now dry so tomorrow I can start with decals.
Cheers
Alberto

Some photos of the Spit with main decals added.
DSCN0936-vi.jpg

DSCN0941-vi.jpg

DSCN0935-vi.jpg

DSCN0934-vi.jpg

DSCN0940-vi.jpg

Italian roundel and archer emblem are from Tauromodel sheets while the individual number is self-made.
As you probably noticed I took the freedom of adding stencils that probably aren't there on the Vigna di Valle machine.
Once completed with all stencils and remaining details, I will have to do just a light weathering: this machine with these camouflage, was never in the air.

Agai many thanks to Valerio D'Amadio who made available pictures of the real thing.
Any comment, welcome!
Alberto

Looks really good, nice job. I've got one of these on the shelf that I'm itching to get started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back