T Bolts Pics

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It happened 2 years ago and I took steps to prevent it that probably did a lot to keep the damage down this time as that other rain wasn't nearly as bad as this one and the damage to the drive was even grater. The problem is that the drive is in a small valley leading to the lake. There is a pipe that takes the water but when there is a really big rain like this one it can't take it and the water uses the drive as a path. I need to build a little retaining wall at the bottom of the stairs and raise up that side of the drive about a foot so it slopes to the side where it can run along the side or the drive to a sewer. What I really need to do is pave it with asphalt or concrete but that would cost way more than I can afore.

Right now we're back in Chicago and it's still raining so I'm worried that it will get worse before I can get back there next weekend.

I was looking thru some old files and came across these pictures of a bridge rebuilding project I was on from 2001 to 2003. A bridge on the Chicago Skyway that goes from 75th st. to 79th st. It is the largest bridge I've ever worked on at close to a mile long with a maximum height of about 75 feet where it crosses over 76th st. and some railroad tracks. 2 men fell and died during the project.
The first picture is me up between the largest beams on top of the pier shown in the second pic. The rest of the pics show the bridge before and during the deck demo. We ripped off the concrete deck, did a lot of repairs on the structural steel, widened the bridge, replaced or repaired the concrete piers and replaced the desk, all wile still keeping 4 lanes of traffic live.

12-11-01 piers 7 and 6 W 1.jpg
12-11-01 Piers 7 and 6 W 2.jpg
12-11-01 piers 8 and 7.jpg
12-11-01 piers 9, 10 and 11.jpg
12-11-01 piers 10 and 9 W.jpg
12-11-01 piers 10, 11and 12 E.jpg
12-11-01 piers 12, 13 and 14 W.jpg
DSC00004.JPG

Last edited:
Nice shots Glenn. They're redoing a bridge I had to cross over in Kamloops on Wednesday; 4 lanes down to 2. 45 minute wait to get across the bridge. This did not sit well as I consider red lights to be a waiting inconvenience.

Geo

My first job out of collage was the rebuilding of the main
10 lane expressway going south out of downtown Chicago. You talk about a traffic jam,
We had people throwing bottles at us.

WOW Glenn that is a lot of rain, we had a couple of downpours and some flooding but luckily it missed us. I hope it didn't do much damage. There is rain and then there is too much rain.

Interesting work Glenn. I played "ironworker" for a while in the late 80's on what was then the Skydome in Toronto. Still have lots of pics in a box downstairs. You have me tempted to go dig them up.

I just came back from a weeks vacation on the lake in Michigan with my new Panasonic Lumix GF2 I just love this new camera Compact with interchangeable Micro 4/3 lenses. With conversion rings I can also mount all my old Olympus OM lenses and my Olympus 4/3 Digital lenses.

Took some shots of a sunrise and a sunset on the lake along some swans and a visiting float plane and ultra-light.

P1020281.JPG
P1020252.JPG
P1020253.JPG
P1020270.JPG
P1020178.JPG
P1020223.JPG
P1020228.JPG
P1020235.JPG

Here's some shots my wife took with her I-Phone during the week

The old Chevy is up and running again after a year of sitting in the garage with no breaks
IMG_1910.JPG
IMG_1912.JPG
IMG_1915.JPG

The way the spend the 4th. It's amazing no one was holding a beer in this picture :lol:
IMG_1901.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back