TBF-1 Avenger (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jayl

Senior Airman
May 29, 2009
So this is my first attempt at a 1/48 scale kit. It's the George Bush Accurate Miniatures TBF-1 Avenger. I got the Eduard "Big Ed" set for it, which includes the interior, exterior, wing flap PE and the masking set. I also have a Montex paint mask set which includes two different markings. I haven't decided what scheme to go with yet. I have a lot more of the little pe parts built than this but they don't have any primer on them yet. I also have the front cowling almost done and one side of the wings. I'll post more pics later, I thought I'd post what I have so far to help keep me motivated.

I know the pics kinda suck. I just got a digital slr and I still need to figure out how to change the field of depth so that everything is in focus.

Last edited:
Excellent work on the photo etch Jayl. All those little pieces can be very tricky. The cockpit, seat and engine are excellent too. I especially like the great job you have done with the engine wiring. Looks like this build is going to result in a top notch Avenger.

Cheers

Peter

Stunning work Jayl. Nice and neat and the engine wiring is superb.

Re the camera: First off, looks like you could do with a bit more lighting in the area. Next, to get more depth of field, you'll need to go with as small a shutter opening as you can. If you go to a shutter preferred setting and let the camera chose the speed, chose something like F28 or 32 but this will probably take a one or 2 second exposure, too long if you hold the camera by hand. It helps to use a tripod or, if you don't have one, prop the camera on a sold surface and use a timer.

Nice thing about digital is you can experiment without worrying about wasting film. Good luck!

Thanks for the comments guys. I've been working on a few pieces for awhile and I started getting ADHD with the kit. I figured starting a wip would help motivate me.

Re the camera: First off, looks like you could do with a bit more lighting in the area. Next, to get more depth of field, you'll need to go with as small a shutter opening as you can. If you go to a shutter preferred setting and let the camera chose the speed, chose something like F28 or 32 but this will probably take a one or 2 second exposure, too long if you hold the camera by hand. It helps to use a tripod or, if you don't have one, prop the camera on a sold surface and use a timer.

Thank you for the help. I tried this tonight and it turned out great. I'll set my tripod up and find some additional lighting and take some better pics tomorrow.

Some very nice work you have done Jayl, the engine and instrument panel are superb. You should join one of the GBs, your standards are every bit as good as most.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Some very nice work you have done Jayl, the engine and instrument panel are superb. You should join one of the GBs, your standards are every bit as good as most.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Thanks. I'm planning on participating in the Battle of Britain GB.

Okay, I took some better pics. The cowl flaps are a real pain. They weren't the right size and trying to get the correct shape, even after annealing the parts was not a fun processes. A little super glue, putty and sanding they should be fine though.

Very nice work! It's a great kit, but as you've probably found, a bit vague in some areas re fit and instructions. Turns out nicely from the box, so should be a stunner with the PE set etc.

WOW, great looking build. Getting all the good feedback should keep you motivated to finish up a real stunner !!!

Yeah it does, thanks guys. I'll have an update later this week sometime.I'm hoping to have the cockpit mostly done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back