Thalys 'shooting'

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Marcel

rotartsinimdA
Staff
Admin
Mod
Sep 19, 2006
Dordrecht
www.redbeatband.nl
I was surprised that no-one wrote about this on the forum. But Googling, I didn't find an English news message either.

Two US soldiers, an American student and supposedly a British buisinessman saved us from another tragedy on the Thalys from Amsterdam to Paris. They saw a man walking with someting that later proved to be an AK47 rifle. The two soldiers dicided to do something about it and were helped by the student. Some sources claim that a buisinessman was also involved. After a fight, the four of them managed to put the guy out of action. This was on August 21st. They now get the Legion d' honeur, the highest medal in France. Well deserved!
They guy that was arrested has been in Syria in May, according to Intelligence organisation.

It's big news here and in France, so was surprised nobody mentioned it here or I missed it.
'Thalys-helden' krijgen hoogste Franse onderscheiding | NU - Het laatste nieuws het eerst op NU.nl

Last edited:
Been all over the news here in the States. Lowlife's Lawyer is now saying that he was not a terrorist, but just wanted to rob the passengers on the train. I think the Lawyer should get the same sentence as this guy for even suggesting that.

Yes, that sory is very hard to believe. The gunman claims that he found the weapons (an AK47, a Luger pistol and some knives) in a park in Brussles and then decided to rob the train. The AK47 was meant to be shot through the window so he could escape. He has a creative mind, but not a very realistic one. Nobody is goning to be fooled by that. Maybe we should behead him like they do with western people?

I was surprised that no-one wrote about this on the forum. But Googling, I didn't find an English news message either.

Two US soldiers, an American student and supposedly a British buisinessman saved us from another tragedy on the Thalys from Amsterdam to Paris. They saw a man walking with someting that later proved to be an AK47 rifle. The two soldiers dicided to do something about it and were helped by the student. Some sources claim that a buisinessman was also involved. After a fight, the four of them managed to put the guy out of action. This was on August 21st. They now get the Legion d' honeur, the highest medal in France. Well deserved!
They guy that was arrested has been in Syria in May, according to Intelligence organisation.

It's big news here and in France, so was surprised nobody mentioned it here or I missed it.
'Thalys-helden' krijgen hoogste Franse onderscheiding | NU - Het laatste nieuws het eerst op NU.nl
Why "supposedly a British businessman" all 4 were given the Legion de Honneur this morning.

I salute all four, there are times when you need guys like them

Why "supposedly a British businessman" all 4 were given the Legion de Honneur this morning.

I salute all four, there are times when you need guys like them
Ah, because that was not clear from the news reports I read. One time it was 3, another time it was 4 people. Thanks for clearing that up and I fully agree.

Ah, because that was not clear from the news reports I read. One time it was 3, another time it was 4 people. Thanks for clearing that up and I fully agree.

No probs Marcel. There have been all sorts of numpties using these peoples courage and action to ride their little hobby horses, some have been quite disgusting (not yours though)

In the initial report, it claimed it was two U.S. Marines who stopped the Moroccan. Then all the news services ran with it.

It happened to be a U.S. Airforce serviceman and an Oregon National Guardsman along with their friend who made the initial contact and then the British man assisted once things got going.

I like how the Moroccan's attorney says he was just going to rob the train with the weapons he "found" in a park.

And I might point out that had it actually been two U.S. Marines involved, the Moroccan wouldn't need an attorney...

I like how the Moroccan's attorney says he was just going to rob the train with the weapons he "found" in a park.

The funniest thing I read was that when he was restrained he was demanding his gun back.

Typical Americans on on holiday stealing the property of the men of peace!

Probably not true, all sorts of stories appear about things like this.

wow you can find some great guns in the parks over there....almost worth taking a trip just to look.

It was bought in a Belgian black market. Belgium will supply anyone with arms except the British Army......just dont get me started on European Union.

It was bought in a Belgian black market. Belgium will supply anyone with arms except the British Army......just dont get me started on European Union.
You should be glad with the EU. You can come over to Belgium, buy an AK47 and go back to the UK without paying taxes. Even better, you could try and "rob" the Eurostar on the way back. :evil:

You should be glad with the EU. You can come over to Belgium, buy an AK47 and go back to the UK without paying taxes. Even better, you could try and "rob" the Eurostar on the way back. :evil:

Well at least they should get rid of all the Kalashnikov bushes in the parks.

The funniest thing I read was that when he was restrained he was demanding his gun back.

Typical Americans on on holiday stealing the property of the men of peace!

Probably not true, all sorts of stories appear about things like this.
Sadly, the social media commentary has been railing on the Americans.

Comments are running from "typical Americans, promoting violence where ever they go" and "fully surprized they didn't shoot Mr. Kahzani" to "they should have just minded their own business" and any other form of American bashing you can imagine.

You would think, that in light of the recent attacks in Paris, people there would be a little more proactive and supportive of the thwarted attack.

I think the actions of the Train crew are pretty shabby. When things got hairy they ran for the Train Guards compartment and locked themselves in thats like the Titanics crew jumping into the lifeboats and not even having the decency to pipe Abandon Ship.

I think the actions of the Train crew are pretty shabby. When things got hairy they ran for the Train Guards compartment and locked themselves in thats like the Titanics crew jumping into the lifeboats and not even having the decency to pipe Abandon Ship.

Well, this seems to be one of those examples where press reporting has been bad on this event. It seems that this was not the thing that happened.

Dave, social media like FB and twitter is something that people take much too seriously. The problem is that the scum of the earth usually shouts loudest, while being a tiny minority. Let me assure you that the general feeling here int the NL is that thes 4 men, 3 of them being US citizens are hero's. Many on that train were Dutch and they are still alive because of them.

Well, this seems to be one of those examples where press reporting has been bad on this event. It seems that this was not the thing that happened.

Dave, social media like FB and twitter is something that people take much too seriously. The problem is that the scum of the earth usually shouts loudest, while being a tiny minority. Let me assure you that the general feeling here int the NL is that thes 4 men, 3 of them being US citizens are hero's. Many on that train were Dutch and they are still alive because of them.

Exactly what I mean about riding hobby horses. People using it and even making things up to justify their stereotypes. Implying that all but Americans have courage and will fight and even (this made me spit) that American gun laws have helped keep the French safe, dont ask me to explain that one it was so off the wall I could hardly follow it.

Sadly, the social media commentary has been railing on the Americans.

Comments are running from "typical Americans, promoting violence where ever they go" and "fully surprized they didn't shoot Mr. Kahzani" to "they should have just minded their own business" and any other form of American bashing you can imagine.

You would think, that in light of the recent attacks in Paris, people there would be a little more proactive and supportive of the thwarted attack.

Not from what I have read in UK Graugeist. The sharpest barbs are along the lines of what I posted. Do not mistake what is behind that, it is not dissing the Americans who were doing what everyone thinks and hopes young men would do in that situation, it is a comment directed on the prats in our liberal governments here who will instinctively leap to the defense of "the religion of peace" and blame anyone who tries to stop them. You can see this in his stupid story of only wanting to rob the train, he expects to be believed.

That is one side of the coin, the other side is that only Americans will take action. The three American guys were in the military (thank god) and knew what they were doing and more important knew each other. I have read a supposedly serious article in a serious newspaper that said it was only because of US gun laws and US willingness to act first that a disaster was averted. As if (speaking as a Brit) three British soldiers would not recognise the sound of an automatic machine gun being cocked and if they did would run away, but 3 American pensioners would know what a kalashnikov sounds like and even if they didnt would wrestle the guy to the ground.

The conduct of the three Americans was exceptional, not only in taking the guy down but seeing the threat in advance. However everyone on the train was lucky including them. If they were in separate carriages, the "man of peace", if he knew what he was doing at all, would be difficult to take down and he would have killed a lot before he was. The British guy I doubt was needed, or did anything to change the outcome, but despite being 62 yrs old and very "portly" went to help not run. Having just seen the guy on TV he was in a better position than the other three to deliver a severe "sitting" to maintain control.

As I said earlier this incident has made too many people get on their hobby horses. Three young men stopped a massacre and thanks be for that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back