The Best Bomber of WWII: #4

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"15 were operational and 40 were used as training. A mission were 2 B-32's destroyed alcohol industries so the Japanese couldn't use alcohol as fuel. The B-32's bombed at 20,000 feet. The Zero's on the first pass knocked out the pressure system and the pilots dove to 10,000 feet. 3 of the 20 men on both B-32's were injured. THere was one casualty his name was Anthony J. Marchione. He was the last casulaty of the USAAF.

THe Names of the B-32's were Hobo QUeen and Hobo Queen II

THe B-32 had a pressurized cabin, remote control Gunnery, and reversible pitch propellers that allowed it to slow down on landing."

From a book called BOmber Missions of WWII

Attachments

• dominat2.jpg
    dominat2.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 135
I've been amazed for years at the breadth of advancements and innovations made during the war years. The difference between a B-17 and B-29 is drastic.

How about lugging 6000 pounds of bombs 1000 miles from target?

Are you sure your mossie can do that?

The B17, B24, B29 and Lanc beats the Mossie for range and payload.

Right, but does that make them the best bomber? The Mossie had a different role, another kind of bombing and it did it brilliantly, a role that could not be performed by the Lanc, B17, B24 or B29. So why are the latter better? They were better in their own role, but as I pointed out in this thread some months earlier, you cannot speak of a "best bomber" as it's like comparing apples to pears when you try to compare a B29 to a mossie.

Right, but does that make them the best bomber? The Mossie had a different role, another kind of bombing and it did it brilliantly, a role that could not be performed by the Lanc, B17, B24 or B29. So why are the latter better? They were better in their own role, but as I pointed out in this thread some months earlier, you cannot speak of a "best bomber" as it's like comparing apples to pears when you try to compare a B29 to a mossie.

Start a thread on 2 engined bombers, then we can rank it.

The Mossie was good in its role, but wasnt a world beater like the other four planes.

The Mossie was a great aircraft - a battle winner. The heavies, especially the B-29 were campaign and war winners.

And again, looking at the technical aspects of the B-29 when compared to other WW2 heavies, it was in a class by itself.

Start a thread on 2 engined bombers, then we can rank it.

:lol: Already done, last time we debated this in this thread, Adler started the "Top medium bomber" thread.

The Mossie was good in its role, but wasnt a world beater like the other four planes.
The Mossie was a great aircraft - a battle winner. The heavies, especially the B-29 were campaign and war winners.
Don't agree. The only time strategic bombing with a 4 engine was really decisive on its own during WW2 was Hiroshima, which was not as much a feat of the bomber as of the bomb itself. For the rest, they just played their part, just like all the other a/c during the war. I agree, the mossie couldn't have flown the same missions as these 4 heavies, but neither could they have flown the mossie missions. I firmly believe that the role of strategic bombing is fairly overestimated. It was a factor in winning the war, but only amongst others.

And again, looking at the technical aspects of the B-29 when compared to other WW2 heavies, it was in a class by itself.
That I agree with, although at the end of the war, also some advanced medium bombers were emerging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back