The Cold War Group Build.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey Dirk, cool choice for a Group build mate. Now only thing we need is to someone enter MiG-25 or MiG-31 in order to try to intercept your Blackbird. :)

Yeah, good luck with that. They couldn't catch one then and they won't catch one now. :D

To jump in on the GB debate if I may. If you ask me we schedule these builds way to far in advance. Yes at the time we vote and it all seems good but things change. I think we should schedule these two or three at a time. not 2 years in advance. This is a perfect example of change. 4 months ago Vietnam and Korea were low on the list if at all. Now it seems everyone would be interested if we were to have one now.

I agree. I think the original intention was to draw-up a provisional list from the votes in the poll, putting it in order of preference, which lead to the long list of dates. Dan did a great job on this, with the intention of it being revised as required. This seems to have resulted in a list for two years' GB's, with repetitive subjects in some cases, very possibly spurred by enthusiasm for a particular subject at that time.

I think the issue of making the GB listing too far ahead was addressed when we were voting for future group builds, but was neglected. Agreeing with Dirk's and Terry's posts, maybe the solution would be to chose future group builds one year at the time at least.

For example, let us keep the current group build listing up until this time next year, finishing with Eastern Front GB in May 2011 and then (or some time earlier) vote new four or so group builds for another one-year period.

Also, considering apparent failure of "Armor at Kursk" split build (no entries whatsoever have been made so far), maybe abandoning the practice of split builds could be considered.

Last edited:
I would agree on keeping the list going up until this time next year, especially for the next GB, The Battle of Britain. I'll admit, this is one of my favourite subjects, and I've been looking forward to it for ages, but, it's also an extremely important historic subject and, of course, this year is the 70th anniversary. To have this as a split build would, i believe detract from the GB as a whole, and the importance of the BoB's place in history.
As for 'shelving' split builds, I tend to agree here also. So far, every GB has seen something of a 'mad rush' near the end, to complete models, and, of course, many, including at least one of mine, have not been completed at all, or even started (including two of mine!).
With four months in which to build one to four models, I beleive an additional build at the same time (as in a split build) could cause problems for those who wish to partake in both. Also, narrowing-down subjects could become something of a chore for individuals, as evidenced by some of the apparent confusion over subjects for the Cold War GB, where the choice is almost endless, over a 40+ year period!!

Digging through my decals for some ideas, had a bit more than I thought. Leaning towards a F-4B from VF-111 and/or E/E Lightning from No. 111 Squadron. Didn't take pics of them all, still have some for Skyhawks, Intruders, Prowlers, Crusaders, Phantoms.....

DSCF0002-88.jpg

DSCF0003-88.jpg

DSCF0004-79.jpg

DSCF0005-69.jpg

DSCF0006-55.jpg

DSCF0007-48.jpg

DSCF0008-46.jpg

DSCF0009-42.jpg

DSCF0010-36.jpg

DSCF0011-38.jpg

DSCF0012-35.jpg

Last edited:
Just to answer Igor's post, I did want to enter the kursk build with an SdKfz 124 Wespe, time permitting... whether or not a split build is a good idea or not though, I couldn't say. Hell of alot of work for the judges in any case!

I finally made my decision. My entry will be the SR71 Blackbird. It doesn't get more "Cold War" then that unless you can dig up a U2...:p

Awesome Dirk. Was hoping to see someone to do a blackbird. Now we just need a F-105 Thud. :)

Thinking I *might* do a A-37 Dragonfly or an A-7 Corsair in addition to the F-111F but I'm going to hold off for a bit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back