The Cold War Group Build.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Was just wondering what you lot have up your sleeves for this one....:D

I've got....

1. E/E Lightning, either No. 74 or No. 111 Squadron.
2. F4 Phantom from No. 111 Squadron.
3. J35F/J Draken from 13th Fighter Wing and numbered '13'....:oops:8)
4. F-8 Crusader, not yet decided...
5. A-1H Skyraider, not yet decided...
6. MiG-21, not yet decided...

Most likely either the Lightning or the Phantom or the Draken...... (help! :oops:)

Originally when I was planing my participation in this GB I had an idea for two entries - F-86 Sabre and MiG-21f-13 - both in Yugoslav insignia as both of this aircraft served with our Air Force. I believe it was unique case of this two bitter rivals serving on the same "side" at the same time in the Cold war.

Alas, it's still too far ahead to say for sure, but it might just happen I'll have to skip this GB altogether.

Here's what I was kicking around to choose from:

A-37B Dragonfly
AD-6 Skyraider
A-7E Corsair II, VA-113, "Stingers" USS Ranger, 1970 or BuNo 160544 / VA-93 Blue Blazers CVW-5, USS Midway (CV-41), 1979
F-8J Crusader, VF-24 "Checkertails" USS Hancock 1972 or VF-194 "Red Lightnings", USS Oriskany 1970 (Cag Bird) or 1976 (Bicentennial Cag bird)
F4J Phantom II
F-14A Tomcat
F-111 ?

The Dragonfly and Skyraider are at the top of the list. Still sorting thru what I have to see if there are any other options. :)

Last edited:
Remember guys, this is a Split Build in conjunction with Armor at Kursk....

I will be entering into unfamiliar territory with a special little kit my very kind Swedish Brother, Jan was nice enough to send me for my Burfday:

The Dragon 1/35 Sd.Kfz. 164 Nashorn Premium...
6314-poster-s.jpg

10051155n.jpg

10051155a.jpg

10051155t2.jpg

Remember guys, this is a Split Build in conjunction with Armor at Kursk....

I will be entering into unfamiliar territory with a special little kit my very kind Swedish Brother, Jan was nice enough to send me for my Burfday:

The Dragon 1/35 Sd.Kfz. 164 Nashorn Premium...

Cool choice Dan. I thought about doing an armor build - actually spent some time digging thru TankRatsAfv Depot for a likely candidate. :lol:

So far I've got two kits, which are both Hasegawa 1/48.

F-4N, which will be done as the VMFA-323 CAG bird aboard the USS Coral Sea in 1980, side number 100 using Eagle Strike Decals.
F-8E, which will be done as a VMF(AW)-323 bird, side number 15, during June 1963.

I may add in an F4U-4, also of VMF-323, but I have to find a kit and decals for it.

sCh_christianpray2.gif
*Please do the Coral Sea bird, please do the Coral Sea bird, please do the Coral Sea bird, please do the Coral Sea bird*
sCh_christianpray2.gif

I forgot that it was a split one, with Kursk.....:oops:

What's the time period covered by the cold war GB? In particular the ENDING date. I'm kicking around a couple of helo's for the build; possibly either a AH1S Cobra or a AH64 Apache. I believe the end of the time period was sometime around 1989 or 1990 but I'm not sure. The Apache A version might JUST squeek in. :)

Last edited:
I think that '89 might just be the year....

I think you're probably right. Well that kills the Apache and the OV-10D Bronco.

The OV-10D was going to be either a VOM-1 or VOM-2 USMC at Al Zubail, Saudi Arabia, Jan 1991. Hadn't decided on the Apache markings yet but definitely Desert Storm.

Some good entries coming up by the look of it. I haven't fully decided yet, but certainly a VV-S MiG 21 'Fishbed D', the epitome of the threat from the Soviet Bear, and maybe a Harrier in a forest hide in Germany. I'd considered a 1/48th scale Vulcan, but Airfix haven't come through yet.....
I see the dates as 1947 to 1989, from the time the Sovs got ar*y, and the blockade of Berlin, to the fall of the regime and the Berlin wall.

If I can enter, I'm deciding between 3 possibilities:

Hungarian MiG-15 bis,
Polikarpov I-16 (conversion to Polish two-seat UTI-4),
and finishing a started Falklands era Sea Harrier FRS.1. (all 1:72)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back