The Cold War Group Build.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm thinking of buying a mig 15 [1/72] but I'm not sure who has a good one. The only one I know of off hand is the Airfix new release but I'm not sure that it's really all that.

Dirk, mine's the Italeri boxing of the Dragon kit. I have built this kit once before, and apart from a misaligned wing tab (quickly remedied with a craftknife and butt-fixing to the fues), it was a sweet build. Three points though: one, the main wheel wells aren't deep enough, two, the undercarriage actuators are squared and the wrong length (easy scratchbuild), and three, the wings are a bit too swept back. Only found this out after the first build (and didn't notice myself), but comparison with available drawings backs this up. Still looks good as is, but personally, I may try and grab an Airfix kit for the wings for the next build.

...and Dwight - camo'd she will be! :)

Don't know if you've noticed guys, but the newly released Airfix kit is a new tooling, not the old 1950's kit. Might make a difference.

That's what I hear. Of the four recent Airfix (Old School) kits I recently picket up they are all pretty bad. The Mosquito is the best of the bunch but not by much. I look forward to getting a "New" kit just to see if they did indeed get better

As of right now I haven't a clue although there are several possibilities in the stash already. Of course I've said that before and still gone out and bought something new. :oops:

Possibilities are:

B-47 Stratojet [1/144]
AC-47 [1/72]
AC-130 [1/144]
AC-123 [1/144]
AC-119 [1/72] Conversion of a C-119 (I already have the guns)
B-36 [1/144]
F-4 Phantom [1/72] Robin Olds, (have to find decal set first)
EC-121 Connie [1/144]
Mig 21 Fishbed [1/72]
SR71 Blackbird [1/72]

Except for the F-4 I have no clue as to the paint schemes of any of them

I'm thinking of buying a mig 15 [1/72] but I'm not sure who has a good one. The only one I know of off hand is the Airfix new release but I'm not sure that it's really all that.

Dan, Nice choice. I'm not much of a "Non-aircraft" guy myself but just this morning I purchased the Revell LRDG kit. Comes with a jeep and the 30 wt truck. SWEET. Now I'm looking forward to the next MTO GB.

Dirk,

Here's some shots of the AC-47, AC-119, and AC-123 for you. :) The 119 and 123 I believe are shown in in standard SEA camo - tan, dark green and light green. Phantoms, A-37 Dragonflys, Skyraiders and Thuds also used the same scheme at times. If you need the color call-outs for that scheme let me know. :)

Attachments

• ac119_4.jpg
    ac119_4.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 143
  • AC119K_2.jpg
    AC119K_2.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 151
  • NellisAc47From2oClock.jpg
    NellisAc47From2oClock.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 155
  • ac123_01.jpg
    ac123_01.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 151
  • ac123_06.jpg
    ac123_06.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 151
  • NC-123Kv2.jpg
    NC-123Kv2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 159
  • janm72mach2ac123k.jpg
    janm72mach2ac123k.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Think it is time to dig out my F-4 Phantom..Israeli Mig Killer....:D

Ah yes! I believe it was about 1988 that I built a 1/48 Phantom. I boxed it up and had it moved across country in 1992. It languished until now in my basement crawlspace. Canopies and broken wheel being glued on. Pics in a day or two!

As I already have built many of the British fighter aircraft related to the Cold War (Phantom's, Lightning's. Meteor's etc, I thought it time to head across the Atlantic and try some of the early classics of the USAF, so primary selection is:
RF-8A Crusader (Vought) of VFP-62 in the Cuban Crisis operation "Blue Moon" in 1962. If time permits, I could venture into either:
F101B Voodoo or
F100D Super Sabre

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Sounds good Vic. So far, I've restricted myself - yeah, right! I was going to do MiGs 17, 19 and 21, but as I have so many other things going at the moment, some on deadlines, I'll probably just do a1/48th scale MiG 21 of V-VS, in a bare metal finish.
There's a chance that I might throw in a 1/48th scale Buccaneer, the cockpit of which I started about 10 years ago, but I anticipate quite a lot of work to get the fuselage joint right, it being horizontal (like the Tornado), and a few other niggles. Have to see how the time pans out.

Still can't decide.....

1. E/E Lightning, either No. 74 or No. 111 Squadron.
2. F4 Phantom from No. 111 Squadron.
3. J35F/J Draken from 13th Fighter Wing and numbered '13'....
4. F-8 Crusader, not yet decided...
5. A-1H Skyraider, not yet decided...
6. MiG-21, not yet decided...

:oops:

Still can't decide.....

1. E/E Lightning, either No. 74 or No. 111 Squadron.
2. F4 Phantom from No. 111 Squadron.
3. J35F/J Draken from 13th Fighter Wing and numbered '13'....
4. F-8 Crusader, not yet decided...
5. A-1H Skyraider, not yet decided...
6. MiG-21, not yet decided...

:oops:

It has to be. National pride old chap!

my entry into the cold war build will be a hasegawa 1:48 scale F-14A from VF-74 be-devilers which was on the aircraft carrier uss saratoga during the mid eighties.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I can make those work, those are early 60's. Funny, my dad is now in his 70's and has just begun to talk about his time in the Air Force. In the last 3 months he's SLOWLY beginning to tell me about it. I don't even know what he did the 8 years he was in. Want to build it for him.

It's been a while since I've had time to even think about another model--2 kids in Jr. High bands, REALLY busy at work..............

I'm probably going to build an FJ-4 Fury. I like it's sporty, jaunty, almost but not quite an F-86 look.

tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back