The Cold War Group Build.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well...I'm sticking with an Israeli F-4E Phantom Mig killer from the Yom Kippur war.

Quote "The conflict had all the elements of a severe international crisis, and ended with a near-confrontation between the two nuclear superpowers, the United States and the Soviet Union, both of whom launched massive resupply efforts to their allies during the war."

Wouldn't it be great to have your own Warthog! Saw one do the dog bone strafing run. I would hate to be the one he is after!

Hm, I'm having troubles finding appropriate model for this GB...

Early on I've decided to do some JRV (Yugoslav Air Force) jet of Cold war period for this GB. MY first choice was 1/48 Academy MiG-21MF (that's what it says on the box, but the model is Bis variant actually). This would be my first time venturing into 1/48 scale. Alas, though I've got aftermarket decals for the project, I had no luck in finding this model in hobby shops around here. (Since I don't have credit card, online ordering is out of the question for me and I can only rely to the selection of models currently available in hobby shops in Belgrade.)
Then I thought of other Academy kits but in 1/72 scale this time - Sabre or Thunderjet (both types were operated by JRV). For Sabre I found the kit, but no aftermarket decals and for Thunderjet I found neither the kit nor the decals. In the end I got nothing...

To cut the long story short, since I was unable to get myself the kit I really wanted to do (1/48 MiG-21), I will probably skip this GB entirely. I might yet come up with something, but I seriously doubt it. Maybe a short brake before I get "burned out" from modeling isn't a bad idea after all. Last time it happened it took me almost 10 years to return to the hobby... :lol:

Last edited:
I found a Draken, Academy Mig 21MF, Revell Mig 21PFM, F-106, Revell Mi-8, sevral F-105s. I also found a Japanese made P-51 in 1/70 scale that had a clear skin like the Montogtam Phantom P-51. Now I am off topic. Not much Cold War to choose from. For Kurisk, I found a Germany Cbmt Engr vehicle at the store and a Russian M3 Lee on the Squadron website.

DBII

Nice one Wayne, and a good example of what I was trying to explain in one of my other posts. The 'Yom Kippur' war was certainly an 'incident' which was close to turning the Cold War into a 'Hot' war with, as you mentioned, both 'Russia' and the West being indirectly involved. I was actuallu just finishing a NATO exercise in (then) West Germany when this kicked off, and we were put on immediate alert in case the 'Sovs' rolled across the East German border - possibly the closest we've come to a nuclear third World War, even more so than Cuba and Bay of Pigs.
Igor, sorry to hear about your problems getting the MiG. Both of the Academy 1/48th scale kits are available here at reasonable prices, and the Revell kit. I can get one and send it to you if you want; send me a PM and let me know. I'm doing the Academy MiG21 PF, 'Fishbed D', which seems to be a very nice kit.

Give me your address igor, and I'll get you a 1/48 MiG-21 mate! I have that kit in the stash.

Edit: Sorry Terry, old boy! Just actually your post there, you go ahead and do it....

Edit again!: It's the PF I have! :oops:

Last edited:
This forum is bl**dy marvellous. Where else can you get people helping each other across the World? Brilliant!

I'm thinking of entering the group build with the XF-85 Goblin . I know it wasn't operational but it defiantly was a child of the cold war.

This is my first time around at a group build and I don't know all the ins and outs. How do I register, and is there a deadline for registering?

Attachments

• xf-85image001.jpg
    xf-85image001.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 89
Nice choice Glenn. I reckon that's what inspired those kits for 'Egg planes' - it certainly is the original!
Jan's shown what you need to lay out, in that format. It's good to provide a bit of background to the subject too, if possible. Have a look at the rules, and the photo requirements, posted in the general Group Build section, and see how others have started their threads, and if you then have further questions, just shout!
There's no entry deadline, just create a new thread for each model, and put it in the Group Build general section for now - it'll eventually be moved into a new GB thread by one of the mods (I hope!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back