The Cold War Group Build.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hay Glen, that's an exciting looking choice, looking forward to you joining the GBs. Do you have a kit of the XF-85 or will it be a scratch build?

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Hmmmm......

With two F8 Crusaders up and running already, I'm not too sure about that one. Might go for the E/E Lightning and either No. 74 or No. 111 Squadron, or the F4 Phantom from No. 111 Squadron. On the other hand, the Skyraider could be fun too! Oh dear..... :confused:

1. E/E Lightning, either No. 74 or No. 111 Squadron.
2. F4 Phantom from No. 111 Squadron.
3. J35F/J Draken from 13th Fighter Wing and numbered '13'....
4. F-8 Crusader, not yet decided...
5. A-1H Skyraider, not yet decided...
6. MiG-21, not yet decided...

not sure if i'm going to make this group build, got to pay off the balance of my summer holiday.
will see what happens in the next month or so as to wether i can get a suitable kit !!!

Fingers crossed old boy!

Now decisios, decisions......:lol: It's tempting to do the Phantom from the No. 111 Squadron, because I'm a sucker for that camouflage, but I think that I'll need another kit for that K version since I have the J kit. :(
Well, you can't really lose with the E/E Lightning either....:D8)

Attachments

• F1_74Sqn.png
    F1_74Sqn.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 72
  • F1A_111Sqn.png
    F1A_111Sqn.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 1246063.jpg
    1246063.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 1325820.jpg
    1325820.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 76
Hm, I'm having troubles finding appropriate model for this GB...

Early on I've decided to do some JRV (Yugoslav Air Force) jet of Cold war period for this GB. MY first choice was 1/48 Academy MiG-21MF (that's what it says on the box, but the model is Bis variant actually). This would be my first time venturing into 1/48 scale. Alas, though I've got aftermarket decals for the project, I had no luck in finding this model in hobby shops around here. (Since I don't have credit card, online ordering is out of the question for me and I can only rely to the selection of models currently available in hobby shops in Belgrade.)
Then I thought of other Academy kits but in 1/72 scale this time - Sabre or Thunderjet (both types were operated by JRV). For Sabre I found the kit, but no aftermarket decals and for Thunderjet I found neither the kit nor the decals. In the end I got nothing...

To cut the long story short, since I was unable to get myself the kit I really wanted to do (1/48 MiG-21), I will probably skip this GB entirely. I might yet come up with something, but I seriously doubt it. Maybe a short brake before I get "burned out" from modeling isn't a bad idea after all. Last time it happened it took me almost 10 years to return to the hobby... :lol:

Igor , according to my info the Academy kit with the MiG-21MF no.2172 is the MF variant. Could you tell me why you think it is the Bis type? If you could I would like to see the pics of one of the fuselage halves and the larger fin ( approperiate side regarding the fuselage half ) ALso I need to see the "hump" with the cockpit conopy.As memo serves the front part of the fuselage is interchangeable because of the PF/MF available variants.

Last edited:
Wojtek, I still haven't seen this kit myself, but I read a few reviews of the kit where is stated that this is Bis rather then MF variant.

Here are links to some of those reviews:

The next installment of the Academy MiG-21 family has now arrived! The MiG-21MF Fishbed J was one of the most widely exported variants of the venerable MiG-21 family and remains in service with many Air Forces around the world. Unfortunately, the only part of this kit that is a MiG-21MF is the boxart. The kit itself is the later model MiG-21bis Fishbed L.

Academy 1/48 Mikoyan MiG-21MF Fishbed J

This is my build of Academy's MiG-21MF, kit # 2171/FA147. The box top says copyright 1998, but it may have been issued earlier than that. As has been noted on numerous articles on this kit the model is rather a MiG-21 bis 'Fishbed L', rather than an MF.

MiG-21 bis by Bob Aikens (Academy 1/48 )

When I get the kit, I'll take detailed photos and post them. Here's the kit in question...

Attachments

• mig-21mf.gif
    mig-21mf.gif
    55 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Must admit I have read similar things about the Academy MiG21MF. Rather confusing!
Jan, why not get the Hasegawa kit, in the RAF version? Still around at TAHS (I know you had problems there!) and I believe at King Kit. Of course, the Lightning is the epitome of the RAF 'Cold War' interceptor - looks great in the black and yellow. Hint - hint!!!!

I get the message! I had thought of doing the 56 Sqn Lightning for the GB, but want to keep it as part of the 56 Sqn Hiastory build - coming soon(ish)!

Wojtek, I still haven't seen this kit myself, but I read a few reviews of the kit where is stated that this is Bis rather then MF variant.

Here are links to some of those reviews:

Academy 1/48 Mikoyan MiG-21MF Fishbed J

MiG-21 bis by Bob Aikens (Academy 1/48 )

When I get the kit, I'll take detailed photos and post them. Here's the kit in question...

OK. It will be better to see that than have a look at the finall effect..All I can say at the moment is I can't agree with many of these points posted on the sites. One thing is sure and I agree with that , the cockpit for both PF and MF variants is incorrect and needs to be either scratch-built or replaced with rasin and PE parts.

Keep getting a nagging feeling that I've got decals to do this VF-51 F-4 B at home.... So, either a No. 111 Squadron E/E Lightning or a VF-51 F4-B Phantom. Decisions, decisions.. :lol:

Attachments

• F1A_111Sqn.png
    F1A_111Sqn.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 71
  • F-4B%20VF-51%20NL113SHR.jpg
    F-4B%20VF-51%20NL113SHR.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 67
Not quite sure what you mean Neil? Those entered so far qualify for the Cold War period, although there might be a specific period here and there which should really be in a separate GB.

Here we are, May 6th and I'm still not sure what I will be building yet. I have so many choices without having to hit the LHS. My 2 MIG 15's finally came in but there are already so many.... Hum... What to do what to do....

Viet Nam and Middle East ain't .part of Cold War IMHO...

Matter of ones perception I guess. In my opinion both Vietnam and Middle Eats conflicts were part of Cold War in wider context. Global struggle between super powers manifested itself through this local conflicts.
Whatever the interpretation would be, both conflicts do belong to given time frame in any case.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back