The creepy crawly thread..... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I agree. Can you describe how you took the bee shot? I tried doing this with little success. I set up a tripod near a flower and hoped the little buggers would land on it but when they did they were too quick to get a good snap.

Thanks Guys!

There's alot of different styles of photography, but for real de-stressing, I find wandering out into a field with a MACRO lens is about as calming as it gets!

I agree. Can you describe how you took the bee shot? I tried doing this with little success. I set up a tripod near a flower and hoped the little buggers would land on it but when they did they were too quick to get a good snap.

Get rid of the tripod! That'll just limit your opportunities. Tripods are great for "golden hour" telephoto shots, but for insects and such, hand-held is a must. Also, shooting at mid-day is best since this allows you to increase your depth-of-field while keeping a fast shutter speed and don't by shy about getting right up to the flowering plant for quality shots. Bees don't mind you being there as long as you're not moving fast and not being percieved as a threat. Same goes for butterflies and the occasional hummingbird.

This shot was taken at 3:26 in the afternoon, the sun was over my back (best angle for getting highlights on thier wings eyes) and I was perhaps 10 inches from him. My camera (Pentax K100D) was set at f/8 for a nice DoF (just enough to allow for short/long focus since they're moving around on the flower) and the shutter speed was 1/350. I usually have my ISO at 200, so the shutter will be a little slower but the "noise" is almost nothing, you can always try a higher ISO

I might mention that the setting on my camera was "Aperature Priority", so the shutter will fire at whatever speed the camera thinks appropiate. Again, a higher ISO would see a faster shutter speed in this mode.

The photo here was cropped and reduced to 720x479 from it's original 3008x2000...if I only cropped the photo and left it un-resized, the bee would barely fit on your monitor

Thanks Grau. Makes sense. The reason I had a tripod was the chances were high that I would get one land within my view. On that particular day, there was one flowering bush in my yard that had 5 or 6 bees hoping about on it.

Really nice shots. Not much in the way of insect or reptile life running around yet but I did see a few skinks on Friday when the temp hit 80F(27C). Not creepy or crawley but the front yard has lot of life in it, this morning:

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 85
Thanks, the white-tails think they own the place. That was made with an ordinary 50mm lens and was not cropped or blown up. We have several plants in the floor to ceiling windows. The deer have been coming right up to the windows trying to get at those plants.

Yea Ark is pretty understanding about shooting critters on your property. Just about anyything goes, but white-tails have a season, which is over, and they know it. So I'd have to hit them with one of the cars. One weird little note, there is a season on crows of all things!!

Back in Ill. our house was next to a corn field. In the fall flocks of the durn critters used to desend on the field with 120dB CAWS!! The shotgun was useless as they'd take off at the sight but the .22 with a scope from inside the bedroom was deadly. Could only get one but after a few days the flocks pretty well stayed away

Here's a shot I took the other day at work.

At first I thought it was a Mosquito (not the De Havilland type) but once I was looking at it through my camera, I realized it was snacking on a victim...

It was less than a 1/2" (13mm) at it's widest and perched on top of my Scion (which has a glass roof)

Users who are viewing this thread