The Fw 190A-9 of Siegfried Baer, 5.Staffel, II./JG301, in Detail....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking brill! I've always wanted to know what the upper U/C door stencils are for, the ones that look like graduations of some sort. In forty years, after numerous pics, books and plans, I still haven't found out! I'm guessing it's something to do with load settings? The last decals I tried to read were on the old Hasegawa 32nd kit, and were - squiggles!

Oleo compression indication for the main U/C. I will scan a small note showing the detail for you Terry.:D

...and did some work on the undercarriage and wheels today....

Attachments

• Undercarriage  Wheels_2863a.JPG
    Undercarriage Wheels_2863a.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 101
Looks Great, Mate ! Does this one get weathered or will it stay new ??

Charles

She will stay pretty much new.....as I understand it, it was built in late Sept. or early Oct 44, probably delivered mid-late Oct?....and shot down on the 26th Nov.
How many flights it had, acceptance, delivery, training and 2 or was it 3? combat missions...(Erich some comments and or confirmation here please!)

This A-9 had a relatively short life so it didn't have time to age....

Wayne

JG 301 received acceptance of new A-8 and A-9's and their variants in September and October of 44 when they started practicising "new" Sturm type tactics. as in Baers case his 190A-9 white 2 is from the brand new fall shipment listing so yes it would look in my opinion pretty clean in appearance. judging that before Siegfried perished JG 301 only was on one operation beforehand, so Weiße 2 flew only two missions before it was shot down and crashed 100 %.

E ~

Les ~

yes my cousin was in another Fw 190 Gruppe so gained his experience here, which and how many mission he flew I have not been able to ascertain just yet.

Several years ago WaST sent me some important but very brief info on his service, will have to dig it out.

August 8, 1942 in 9./Flieger Rgt 11 at Schönwalde

it might be earlier than this but July 30, 1944 in 2./Jagdgruppe Süd at Hohensalza ( Ergänzungs-jagdgruppe Süd ) flying the Fw 190A-8.

The death was indicated on 07.03.1947 and recorded at the register office I in Berlin.

not sure if I mentioned this earlier but a LW 2cm flak unit watched his Fw go down on 26 November 44, and smash down in a field. the Farmers son actually found the wreckage and Siegfried's body in 1947 and his remains were interned in the Holtensen/Wülfinghausen cemetary close by. the crash site is to the north of the village of Holtensen and there is a strong chance that part of that Fw 190A-9 is still buried in the field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back