The Travels of Tel's Tin Tent. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks chaps.
Arrived safely yesterday, although quite stiff after a 200 mile drive.
Weather is great - blue skies, sun and average 25C temps. Just about to have some pain killer, which comes in cans and has a frothy head .......................

Karl and I have had a good weekend here at the "Tin Tent", with nice weather, some good BBQ's and a few beers .... OK, quite a few beers !
We got to the 453rd Bomb Group memorial and museum at Old Buckenham (where we'd been for the airshow at the end of July) on Saturday, and traveled up to the north Norfolk coast yesterday (Sunday), to visit the Muckleburgh Collection, a large collection of working tanks and other military vehicles, based on the former Weybourne Camp, a WW2 anti-aircraft site on the cliff top above the North Sea.
There's been a lot of military air activity here over the last couple of weeks, with Ospreys and F-15's passing overhead almost daily, and we'd planned to go to Lakenheath today to see some "action", but the weather forecast for that area is heavy rain and thunder, so we've binned that plan, allowing Karl to drive home in less traffic.
I forgot to bring a usb cable with me, so I can't download any photos until I get home next week , but I'll post a full report then.

It's my final day here in sunny Norfolk, and I'll be driving home tomorrow.
As if in farewell, a Spitfire flew directly over the camp site earlier, at around 1,500 feet, heading east towards the coast, returning on a reciprocal course around 8 to 10 minutes later, having presumabably done a short display or fly-past at some local event.
As I type, a Harvard has just followed the same course, and same altitude.
Once I get settled at home, I'll sort and post the pics of the recent travels made by Karl and myself, probably early next week.

Old boy, the second word is "off !"

I'm out of "Scottish White Wine" (aka Talisker 10 year old single malt), but I still have a supply of Abbott Ale to relax before kip time.
I will not be sampling the "Pigwash" !!!

I'll be back with a further up_date when I'm re-installed in damp and dismal Macclesfield.

Thanks chaps, and here's the first instalment of the recent "Travels".

Old Buckenham airfield memorial and museum.

Old Buckenham airfield is located to the north west of the campsite, just a short, twenty minute drive away, through narrow country lanes and rather attractive villages.
Today, only a short part of one of the original WW2 runways is in use, for club flying and the annual air show, which Karl and I attended for the second year running at the end of July, as previously reported.
During WW2, it was home to the B-24s of the 453rd Bombardment Group (Heavy), and the actor James Stewart served here as Exec Officer, flying on operations over Germany. Another well-known actor, Walter Matthau, also served here as an NCO ground crewman.
Although there is a small museum and a memorial on the field, it was far too busy to visit these on air show day, so we returned to have a good look around, on a sunny day, with a couple of visiting aircraft landing to have lunch, and a Cessna carrying out student pilot training.
The Memorial is a large stone in the shape of a B-24 tail fin, enclosed in a neatly kept, fenced garden, as shown in the pics below, with the museum being housed in an original Nissen hut (Quonset hut to our American cousins), where an interesting collection of 453rd BG artefacts, uniforms and other memorabilia can be viewed, free of charge.

The first few pics below show the airfield as it is now, and during WW2 (B&W image copyright free, from American Air Museum in Britain), along with the original Nissen hut housing the museum, and the Memorial and garden. Look closely at the B&W photo, and the Nissen hut can be seen in the bottom, left corner, between the "spectacle" dispersals.

More to come in the following posts ..................

Old Buckenham continued.

Moving inside the museum, the photos in this and the following posts show general views of the collections and exhibits, which should be self explanatory, but if there are any questions, just ask, and I'll try to answer them.
Apologies for some of the angles, and reflections in the glass; as can probably be seen in some shots, there was a lot of stuff crammed into a relatively small space, with not much room between the various cabinets.

Users who are viewing this thread