The What is it? Game

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good guess, but it's not an I-17 and it's not Russian.

To recap the clues: it's a single engine, low-wing monoplane. It has a license built BMW water-cooled V-12 engine. It was designed and built in the 1930's and it's first flight was in 1937. It was not a warplane (bomber, fighter, etc.).

It had retractable conventional undercarriage (tail-dragger) and was a single-seater.

And I just realized that I stumped GeeDee for perhaps the first time ever in this game...a red letter day in WW2Aircraft's history!! :lol:

I bet that if I told you the aircraft's name, it'll pop up on google! :p

Ok...another hint, it was manufactured by a Gas and Electric company that had some previous experience with aircraft, not a major aircraft manufacturer...long story, but it was mainly due to politics.

[QUOTE="And I just realized that I stumped GeeDee for perhaps the first time ever in this game...a red letter day in WW2Aircraft's history!! :lol:[/QUOTE]
Right...that's it....i'm off to check on Facebook for the answer now ! :)

Okeydokey....i've checked with Facebook and confirmed its the 'Koken'. Built by the Tokyo Gas and Electric Industry...aka 'Gasuden'... it was built to get the long range record...which it held for a number of years.

Its serial number was originally K5054...but somebody rubbed it off the fuselage before pictures could be taken and so Supermarine came along and nicked the idea....so there !

That was a good one and she looks a real slick ship !

Ahh...well done, Gary! :thumbleft:

Actually, I believe that Vicker's K5054 predates Gasuden's numbering, but you certainly nailed it down, my friend!

Here's the Koken being assembled at Gasuden's Omori facility, Tokyo, 1937
Gasuden_Koken-KI_Omori-Tokyo_1937.jpg

The Koken parked on a field during flight trials, I believe this was taken late summer, 1937
Gasuden_Koken-KI[3].jpg

It's your turn!

Last edited:
That's actually a pretty cool looking airplane !.

Have a go at this one...no, its not one of my pics
:(
What.jpg

Nope....sorry dude...its a Spitfire ! (Heavily modified to look like an XB-43 so I'll let you have that one :) )
what.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back