Trucks!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice shots guys. I've got some road train shots stashed away I'll try and dig out. B doubles are the norm around my way though, semi's are still popular but getting phased out...
That would be cool to see some of those land trains!

Here's a couple of Oshkosh water tankers...

Attachments

• Oshkosh.jpg
    Oshkosh.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 4,999
  • Oshkosh_II.jpg
    Oshkosh_II.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 2,578
Last edited:
That's one cool Mack Aaron! Would love to sink my teeth into that one and restore it!

Anyhoo, THIS has to be the scariest truck of them all! Remember "The Duel"? 8)

Btw, what's the story behind the Mack dog?

I don't know but I will look it up. In the mean time here's a link to Wikipedia of Mack's history.Mack Trucks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ok, after a little searching I found this and believe that this is probably where the bulldog came from but don't hold me to it I will keep searching.:)

The famous AC model was introduced in 1916. With its chain drive rear axle, the AC model earned an unparalleled reputation for reliability and durability, and was called on to help accomplish nearly impossible military and civilian tasks. The AC model was manufactured continuously through 1939 -- a remarkable 24 years, and 40,299 were built. The AC is not only credited with giving Mack its famous Bulldog identity, but also with achieving a degree of success and international fame that has never been accomplished by any other motor truck in history.

Mack built a military armored car on an AB Chassis for the New York National Guard. During World War I, Mack delivered approximately 4,500 AC model trucks of 3-1/2, 5-1/2, and 7-1/2 ton capacity to the US government. During that same period, Mack delivered over 2,000 units to Great Britain. These trucks did an outstanding job under very difficult conditions.

The story goes that the British soldiers ("Tommies") would call out when facing a difficult truck problem, "Aye, send in the Mack Bulldogs!" The primary, and generally universal, story is that the British engineers testing AC's and the Tommys in France said that "the Mack AC's have the tenacity of a bulldog." At that time, the symbol of Great Britain was the bulldog, and this was high praise for the trucks. American "Doughboys" expressed the same opinion of the truck.

Last edited:
I like the big airfield firetrucks too.

Attachments

• DSC_6852.jpg
    DSC_6852.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 933
  • DSC_6935.jpg
    DSC_6935.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 929
  • DSC_6373.jpg
    DSC_6373.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 938
  • DSC_6376.jpg
    DSC_6376.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 951
Cheers Bryon. I like to try and capture the safety crews too. They are definitely one of the 'behind the scenes' elements, most of the time, at airshows. But if you need them, they are there, fast!

I wish I had photographed some of the ones from my USAF days. When I first arrived in Europe, we had the big pumpers in camouflage. They later changed the colors schemes, but there was nothing quite like a big P2 pumper in full camo!

Cool shots of the fire equipment!

I have a ton of Fire vehicles from the many years I've worked on them (and law enforcement vehicles) I've taken with my little Kodak DC3500 (1 megapixel) that I carry with me everywhere.

The quality of mine are nowhere near as nice as yours!

Next time you better come by and pick me up here in Glasgow man! Got to love those lush green Virginia and West Virginia mountains....

Why is that all of a sudden Big Bopper and White Lightning pops into my head?? Even though that's in North Carolina... :oops:

Well in North Carolina, way back in the hills,
Lived my pappy and he had him a still.
He brewed white lightning 'till the sun went down,
And then he'd fill him a jug, an' pass it around.
Mighty, mighty pleasin', you're pappy's corn squeezin'
White Lightning

Yeah, the G-men, T-men, revenurers too,
Searchin' for the place where he made his brew.
They were lookin', tryin' to book him,
But my pappy kept on cookin'
White Lightning

Well I asked my pappy why call it brew,
White lightning, 'stead of mountain dew.
I took on sip and then I knew,
As my eyes bugged out and my face turned blue.
White Lightning

Yeah, G-men, T-men, revenuers too,
They were lookin', tryin' book him,
White Lightning

Well, a city slicker came, and said "I'm mighty tough."
"I think I wanna taste that powerful stuff."
He took one s..slug and he drank it right down,
And I heard him a-moanin' as he hit the ground
White Lightning

Yeah, G-men, T-men, revenuers too,
They were lookin', tryin' book him
White Lightning!

Last edited:
Lucky, any of you guys or gals show up and I'll show yall around.:thumbleft: I do have a friend with a King-Air, but I don't believe that I can twist his arm hard enough to get him to fly to Scotland,:oops: sorry.:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back